Eight.

Chapter 8:Burning Hearts

Chapter 8:
Burning Hearts

   "They'll be here in four days." Alice told everyone from the far side of the room. Hunter stood by Jacob, her eyes settled hard on the floor. To her, that wasn't enough time to prepare for a full blown army of vampires, especially with only a handful of them.

Carlisle leaned against a table beside Bella, his own face hardening, "This could turn into a bloodbath." He was right. Either they do nothing and let Bella die along with the entirety of Forks, or they fight.

   "Who's behind it?" Edward asked his sister.

   "I didn't see anyone I recognized. Maybe one." She replied, immediately remembering the face in her vision.

Edward, after reading her mind, replied, "I know his face. He's local. Riley Biers. He didn't start this." Hunter blinked in thought. All she could think about was Victoria, the red headed vampire was capable of doing anything it took to get rid of her and Bella, and that included creating an army.

   "Whoever did is staying out of the action." Alice told them.

   "They must be playing with the blindspots in your vision." Carlisle theorized.

Hunter crossed her arms and shifted onto one foot. There was an unsettling feeling whirling in her stomach about everything. They were blindsided by the fact that they had no idea who was behind all this and that wasn't a good thing. But Hunter still had her suspicions on the woman who killed her.

   "Either way, the army is coming." Jasper reminded them, "And there aren't enough of us to protect the town."

Jacob tensed beside her, "Hold up, what damn army?" Hunter sighed. She thought Jacob was in the loop of things but she guessed Edward had something to do with that. "Newborns. Vampires." She answered.

   "What are they after?" Embry asked from the door, his face written with curiosity. Hunter's eyes fell onto Bella knowingly and she could feel the anger bubble up in her chest. The intruder was in their house, in Bella's room to be exact, that had to mean something. And it did once Alice replied. "They were passing around Bella's scent. A red blouse."

Hunter gritted her teeth in an attempt to stay shut. Her protectiveness over Bella was consuming, concerning too. She could never control herself when Bella's life was being threatened. "What the hell does that mean." She hissed.

It was silent for a moment. Her anger struck everyone and just by the way she was slightly hunched over, they could practically see the animosity leaking off her. However, none of them felt threatened. It was normal of Hunter to get like this, but they thought she had it under control.

   "It means an ugly fight. With lives lost." Carlisle told her, peering into her darkened eyes. There was something unsettling about the way the hybrid stared off in thought, none of them able to guess what she was plotting.