29 - The Big Showcase (Final Chapter)

The Showcase was tonight and I was getting ready. When I passed the auditions a month ago, I immediately called Cat and Andre to start the recording of the song. I ended up finishing the mix by the end of that week and now we were having sound checks.
Ever since Tori came over and we had sex, we've sorta been back to normal as we were before we dated. We'd throw snarky remarks at each other, but we both knew that it was only for fun and that we still did love each other even though we're both hurting at the moment. We've been hanging around each other, but it's never really been the same since.
"I can't hear myself! Turn up my earpiece!" I roared through the microphone, scaring Sinjin and Robbie. Robbie scurried over to the controls and fixed the issue before I practiced some highs and lows through the microphone to hear the difference.
"Cool, now cut the reverb, and add compression because I'm doing a ballad." I sighed before testing out the changes. As soon as I was satisfied with the changes, I got off stage and noticed Sinjin writing my settings down before Tori getting up on stage. She placed her earpiece in and started doing melodies. I smiled at the view of her finally opening up again, but quickly walked over to my car to get home and practice with Cat and Andre, then get ready. I got in the car and played Could've Been by HER and Bryson Tiller. As I drove down the freeway, my phone started to ring through the speakers, and I answered seeing it was Babe.
"Hey." I greeted sheepishly.
"Hi! My friends and I are going to get sushi at some place called Nozu since Cat couldn't hang, do you wanna come?" She asked.
"Sorry, I've kinda planned with Cat to practice which is why she couldn't hang with you. You can come over if you like, y'know.. With your friends. We're just practicing for the big Showcase tonight." I explained, lighting up a cigarette once I've come to a red stop light.
"Oh, I mean.. Are - Are you sure? We don't wanna bother.." She trailed off.
"No, it's all good.. I'll text you the address as soon as I get home. Bring me some sushi on your way over." I smiled.
"Alright, sushi it is!" She giggled. We hung up, and soon enough I had spotted my driveway and pushed the button that was on my keys and drove into the garage. I turned off the car, closed the garage door, and walked in to see Jacob and my Mom on the floor laughing with Ice.
"What are you both doing?" I chuckled. Their heads turned in my direction and ushered for me to sit with them.
"Look, while you were gone we taught him something new." My Mom informed excitedly.
"Watch." Jacob whispered, his face contorted into a smile. He formed his hands into a gun and pointed it at Ice who tilted his head to the side in confusion. "BANG!" He shouted. Ice then fell on his side and rolled on his back with his tongue out on the side. Jacob then shook him around, but he did not move.
"Alright, Ice. Up." I smiled. He quickly rolled over and stood up on his tiny little legs, and I picked him up. Jacob smiled at me and so did my Mom as I held him in my arms. We went out that weekend for Mexican food when my Mom used her psychology tricks on me to get me to open up. I ended up crying whilst eating my taco, but it felt good to know my family was by my side.
"So, what's up with you both?" I asked seeing as they were in such a loving mood.
"Well.. We've started to plan the wedding and we've picked the dates." Jacob informed smugly.
"We had to inform everyone that we were going to do it in New York so that everyone would be prepared." My Mom continued.
"I see, wow. I'm happy for you. Anyways, I'd love to chat about your wedding and your love that actually made it, but I have to practice for the showcase." I teased, clutching my heart.
"Ha-ha, very funny. Go eat before you do anything." My Mom directed.
"I'm going because I want to." I smirked and put Ice down before walking to the kitchen. I opened up the pot and saw fresh fish chowder that was still hot. The mild, but delicious smell of carrots, onions, potatoes, celery and fish made my mouth water. I grabbed a bowl and started to eat as I scrolled through my phone. Ice was sitting beside me, staring at me as he tried to telepathically tell me to give him some. When he realized I didn't wanna give him any, he signalled by licking his mouth and stomping his feet. I laughed and gave him a potato from my soup which he graciously just chomped on.
Once I was done with my food, the doorbell rang and my Mom went to get it before I could. I rinsed off my bowl, and grabbed a can of cola.
"Jade?" I heard Cat call out from the hall close to the kitchen door that led out to it instead of the den.
"Comin'.." I responded, and shut the fridge before walking out, Ice right behind me. Andre and Cat stood by the door as they waited, both looking usual with their outfits today. Andre sported a 90's inspired look whilst Cat had on her colours. They smiled once they spotted me and greeted happily before Cat bent down to pick up Ice.
"Ready?" Andre asked.
"Yup."
"Let's do this." I unlocked the door of the basement, and let them pass before I did.
"Mom, Jacob! A girl named Babe and her friends are coming over - just send them down, okay?" I shouted.
"Okay!"
"Okay!" They responded simultaneously. Shrugging that off, I made my way down and shut the door behind me.