Chapter Twelve: A Blind Date with an S.O.S Call

I've written this chapter more than three times because I didn't like how it was turning out so I've spent the whole time looking for inspirations in movies and going out with friends and hear their embarrassing stories (and laugh at them like a true friend) and with that, I wrote this. I'm kind like ehhhhh with this chapter but I still wanted to give you something and not make you guys wait. 

So here it is and hope you like >,<!

____________________________________________

Hate Me, Love Me:

Chapter Twelve: A Blind Date with an S.O.S Call

I couldn’t go through with it.

My hands were clammy and I could feel sweat trickle down my face as I stood outside Ruby’s Diner, unable to move. Shirley and Celeste had given me a pep talk before we arrived here and I didn’t feel motivated at all. I was a nervous wreck. Since Thursday, I was nervous. I was afraid of who Shirley and Celeste thought the ideal guy for me was. Could he be from our school? Did they meet him at one of those parties they always go to? Maybe this would occupy my mind from Evelyn’s proposition and the never-ending thoughts of Kat. 

Maybe this guy could keep me entertain from letting my mind wander to a certain tattooed beauty. I took a long deep breath, drying my clammy hands against my cardigan and quickly looked at myself in the reflection of the glass door. Shirley and Celeste had told me to wear something casual - nothing that consisted of a band shirt and jeans. They wanted me to dress to impress but seeing myself in a black, flower patterned dress with black tights and my Vans(the only thing they allowed me to wear of my choice), I looked…out of the ordinary in my perspective. 

I was comfortable wearing band shirts and jeans. That was my comfort zone. Not a sleeveless dress where I needed to wear a cardigan just because I felt uncomfortable. Without the cardigan, you would be able to see the two skin tones of wearing band shirts for so long on my arms. Plus, I was wearing make-up to hide the bruise on my cheek. Readjusting my black handbag that I cherished dearly that was decorated with pins and studs on my shoulder, I made my way inside the diner with my heart hammering in my chest. The sound of the bell chiming my entrance made me feel shy as curious pairs of eyes glanced my way before reverting back to their meals. 

Ruby’s Diner was retro enough with their waitresses and waiters riding on roller blades with ‘50’s style uniforms. Posters of old Cadillac, Chevy, Ford cars decorated the red and white wall scheme and soft jazz music played in the background. There were a variety of age groups in the diner. From young to elder. Stepping into Ruby’s Diner felt like stepping into a time warp. I was always stunned entering this diner all because it looked like it was brought out of a book. 

I looked around quickly spotting Shirley and Celeste sitting at the booth, drinking their milkshakes. They both grinned at me and pointed towards the left to a booth. I followed their gazes and saw a guy probably around our age sitting there by himself reading the menu. He was attractive, I’ll give the girls that. His chestnut hair was perfectly trimmed and styled back and he was wearing a long black sleeved shirt with dark grey jeans. 

My nerves quickly rose to the roof and each step getting closer to the guy made me feel more nervous than ever. I was fearing that I would spew out word vomit after word vomit. This was getting out of my comfort zone from a courtesy shove by Shirley and Celeste. I was dreading every moment and all I could ever think about as I continued my way towards the guy was that I’m going to make a fool out of myself. 

Once I was close to the guy, he looked up immediately. I was taken aback by how quick he was to smile at me with those pearly white teeth showing. All I could do was gape at him, unsure on how we’re supposed to continue this. Am I supposed to sit down and introduce myself? What if he’s the wrong guy? What if his girlfriend had gone to the restroom and this seat was occupied? Why was this so nerve-wracking?!