Chapter Twenty: When the Sleazy Wolf Plays Dirty

I'm sorry I didn't upload yesterday. I had left my laptop charger in my friend's house >.<!

But here it is, so hope you guys enjoy it.

Shit is about to start hitting the fan after this, just so ya know. :DD

_________________________________

Hate Me, Love Me:

Chapter Twenty:   When the Sleazy Wolf Plays Dirty

                “Have you decided which universities you’d like to apply to, Mabel?”

I looked up from the computer screen to my counselor, Mrs. Keller, who took a seat beside me. I had spent most of my Lunch periods here in the Financial Aid office with other senior students who want to directly go to college after graduation instead of going to community college. I hadn’t hung out with Evelyn and Riley since the bonfire. On Sunday, I ignored their phone calls as I did my research on which university was best for an Anthropologist major. The colleges that intrigued me were Harvard, Stanford, Yale, and Dartmouth. They had excellent reviews and considering Harvard and Dartmouth were close (Dartmouth being in New Hampshire which would sound pleasing to Ivan), I never been to California. 

But I knew most people from here would want to go to California as well. Most people from the East Coast would want to experience all the hype about California beaches and the girls and guys. That didn’t interest me. What interested me was the LGBT Pride marches that occur there. Ever since I did my fair share of research on Stanford and the golden state, it was crazy how many people participated and marched in that. The costumes they wore and the utter happiness that surrounds them. They didn’t care if they were judged, they were being who they were. 

“Ooh, Stanford University,” Mrs. Keller mused, snapping me out of my thoughts. “Pretty far from here.”

“Yeah,” I dragged, continuing to browse through the university’s website. “It’s considered to be a top school for an Anthro Major. There’s also Dartmouth, Harvard, and Yale.”

“You could apply to all of them and see which acceptance letter comes first.”

“If I do that, then there’s going to be a lot of requirements I have to do. A lot of essays I have to write in order for them to see that I’m a right candidate to be a part of their school.”

Mrs. Keller smiled, patting my hand before giving it a gentle squeeze, “Whatever you desire to do, then do it. If you want to apply for Stanford, then go ahead. If you want to apply for those other universities, do it. This is your decision, Mabel. It is no one else’s but yours. Don’t let others’ opinions affect your decision.”

I nodded, looking back at the computer.

It was my decision whether I want to apply in a university in California or not. It wasn’t anyone else’s. This was my future. I dragged the mouse to the requirements page and quickly jotted down on what I had to do to apply for this school. It wouldn’t hurt to apply for Harvard and Dartmouth as well. They were back up plans but my mind was set on Stanford. 

When I left the office with my notebook written with as much needed requirements to apply to those universities, I was ready to explain (and possibly have an argument) with Ivan as to why I chose those schools. He had to see how much this would mean to me if I was accepted by either one - especially Stanford. I didn’t want to get my hopes to be reaching the ceiling; I had to chide myself that anything could happen. I may or may not be accepted by Stanford. I just have to have a neutral perspective on that.