Chapter 7

The blackouts were a relatively new development.
Shōto sat, cradling himself in his arms, as another sob wracked his thin frame.
He couldn't pinpoint any single event which had led to the blackouts, crediting them instead to the accumulative impact of years of abuse. Abuse at the hands of his father.
Midoriya's words echoed through his skull.
"I've spent a lot of time studying your father's fighting style, trying to apply it to my own.
What has me confused is the fact that yours bears absolutely no resemblance." He had said.
For that, at least, he was thankful. Becoming an echo of his father was the one thing he feared above all else.
"And yet, " he thought, staring at the blood on his hands
"How am I any different from him?"
These blackouts... These fits of anger... How were they different from his father's own red mists?

 How were they different from his father's own red mists?

In the past, his blackouts had been solitary occasions. He'd come to to find his desk in pieces, his bed aflame. But this time... He wiped the blood from his fists. Midoriya's blood.
"At least, " he thought, cradling his left hand "I didn't burn up my classmate."
Shōto buried his head in his hands, but when he closed his eyes all he could see was Midoriya's bloodied face, and how it looked just like his mother's had.
"No." He thought, lifting himself up from the ground. "I won't be like him. I can't be."
***
Everyone turned as he entered the classroom. He looked out among the crowd of staring faces, but couldn't see Midoriya.
"Where's Midor-" He started, before a fist connected with his jaw.
"Deku's in the hospital wing, thanks to your little temper tantrum." Bakugou spat through gritted teeth.
Holding Shōto by the collar, his hand sparking, Bakugou spoke in his ear.
"If you touch him ever again, I will end you. That's a promise."
He dropped him and spun on his heel walking back to his seat through a sea of shocked expressions. Had Bakugou just... defended Midoriya?
"The hell are you looking at?" He slumped back into his chair.
***
Classes passed in a blur. "The hospital wing." Shōto thought.
"I put him in the hospital. Just like my... Just like my..."
"A-are you okay?" Yaoyorozu touched his arm.
Turning to her, he ignored her question.
"Do you know if he's allowed visitors?" He asked.
***
Recovery Girl waved him through.
"I thought I might see you here." she said, her voice laced with pity.
"Head on in. Room 221."
Midoriya was sitting up in bed. His face dropped when Shōto entered the room.
"Thought you were Ur- Never mind."
Shōto sat on the end of the bed. The silence was deafening.
"I'm sorry." He said, his voice soft.
"I didn't mean to hurt you. I just... I got carried away."
Midoriya observed him, his eyes dissecting him. He motioned to his split lip.
"This? This is nothing. Don't worry about it. Recovery Girl fixed me up."
He paused, carefully choosing his next words.
"Todoroki, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's me you were fighting out there, was it? I could see it in your eyes.
That rage, that burning hatred, it was directed at someone else.
Todoroki, are you okay?"
Shōto stared into his lap. A single tear fell from his face. His hand went to the scar that covered his left eye.
"Have you ever heard of 'Quirk Marriage's'?" He asked.
Midoriya was taken aback.
"I- No, I don't think so."
Shōto nodded. "Most don't. People tend to ignore things which they find distasteful.
I guess it's just human nature." He shrugged.
"In the first years following the appearance of quirks, there was a lot of confusion surrounding them. However, it soon became clear that quirks could be inherited, passed on from one generation to the next.
You can probably guess how that realisation was met.
Before long, people were marrying with the sole intent of having powerful offspring.
Children were born for the sole purpose of granting their parents power over others."
He paused.
"I guess that thirst for power is a part of human nature too, right? Anyway, the practise was frowned upon, for obvious reasons, and quickly faded."
He looked up and met Midoriya's eyes for the first time.
"My father, Endeavour, is the Number 2 hero, second only to All Might. But he's never been close to bridging the gap, no matter how hard he tries. That goal, that obsession, consumes him. It's all that matters. He knows he can't do it himself, so he trains me to be just like him." He leaned forward, lowering his voice.
"I have 3 siblings, each born 5 years apart. Why do you think that is, Midoriya?"
Shōto heard the sharp intake of breath.
"Y-your quirks. The manifestation age." He stammered.
"Your father..?" His voice trailed off. Shōto nodded.
"Now do you understand? Do you understand why I can't be like him? Why I refuse to use his quirk? My father may be powerful, Midoriya, but he's no hero."
He stood up.
"What you said, comparing me to him... I'm sorry Midoriya. I truly am. I've been having these blackouts, I can't control my actions. I guess what you said triggered one."
He turned to leave. "I don't expect your forgiveness, but maybe now you understand."
As he passed through the door, a voice called from the room.
"You don't have to be like him, you know. You can be better."
Shōto paused, then continued on his way.

* Hi guys. Glad to see that people are reading. If you're enjoying it, maybe you could tap that star down in the corner? You may notice that I'm switching between calling certain people by their first and last names from chapter to chapter. That's primarily because I'm not sure how names work in Japanese. If any of you guys could help me out with that, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for the support ! *

 Thanks for the support ! *