Chapter 3

U.A. High.
A name synonymous with excellence in all areas of academia, but whose real fame lay in the illustrious alumni of its Hero course.
Notable for having trained both the number 2 hero Endeavour, and All Might, the number 1 hero and Symbol of Peace, U.A. was widely considered the best hero course in Japan.
As Izuku stood before the shining columns of glass, he was overwhelmed with a great sense of purpose.
"This is it." he thought
"My origin story begins now."
                               ***
"Hey! You're that guy, aren't you? The guy who saved that kid? I remember you from TV"
Izuku turned.
A girl, about his age, with a heart-shaped face and chestnut hair.
"I'm Ochaco Uraraka. Nice to meet you." she said, extending her hand. Izuku shook it.
"I-I'm Izuku M-Midoriya." He stammered.
Why was he blushing? Why did this girl make him feel all weird and floaty inside?
He looked down at his feet, only to realise that he was all floaty outside too.
"Gaaah! Why am I flying?!" He shouted, flailing.
"Oh no, not again! Uhhh..."
Uraraka seemed oddly unperturbed by Izuku's newfound weightlessness. "Release!"
Izuku tumbled to the ground.
"I'm so sorry!" Uraraka said, helping him to his feet.
"I have an Anti-Grav quirk, and when I'm anxious or flustered..."
"No need to worry. So I guess you're here for the entrance exam too, then?" Izuku asked, dusting himself off.
"Yep." Uraraka beamed
"I guess you couldn't even wait for the exam, right? You jumped the gun and found yourself a villain to fight!"
"Well, not quite..." Izuku replies, looking around him.
Where was Kacchan? He had barely seen him since the incident, but he had to be here somewhere, right?
"Could all examinees make their way to Training Ground Gamma immediately please. You will be briefed upon arrival." A voice boomed over the loudspeakers.
"Guess that's us." Uraraka said over her shoulder.
"You coming?"
                               ***
"HEY THERE WANNABE-HEROES! ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?!"
Present Mic's impassioned entrance was met with silence.
"I CAN'T HEAR YOU!".
Nothing.
"THATS MORE LIKE IT!" Present Mic thundered on, oblivious.
Uraraka nudged Izuku
"He's pretty loud, huh?"
Izuku smiled in response, and turned his attention back to the stage, where Present Mic was having the time of his life.
"OKAY KIDDOS, HERES THE RUNDOWN. WE'RE GONNA THROW YOU CRAZY CATS INTO A CAGE FULL OF ROBOTS, AND WHOEVER SCRAPS THE MOST METAL WINS, YOU GOT IT?"
There were confused faces in the hall.
"Mic, shut up."
A tall, long haired man had taken to the stage.
"You woke me up from my nap."
He turned to the crowd.
"Basically, this exam is a test of your combat ability.
You're going to be in a city-like environment.
With you will be three different classes of robot, of varying levels of difficulty." He motioned to the screen.
"The point system reflects the difficulty of the opponent.
Whoever gets enough points gets in.
If you want my opinion, this entire exam is illogical, but guess what? Nobody asked me.
Mic, take over."
The figure trudged off stage.
"I'm going back to bed."
"OH YEAAAAAAAH! DID YOU KIDS ENJOY THAT SPECIAL GUEST APPEARANCE FROM OUR VERY OWN ERASER HEAD? UHUH UHUH I BET YOU DID. YOUVE GOT THE LOWDOWN, SO LETS GET GOING!". His voice dropped.
"The great hero Napoleon Bonaparte once said... 'True heroism consists in being superior to the ills of life.' PLUS ULTRA! BREAK A LEG, EVERYONE!"

                               ***The robots weren't proving a challenge

                               ***
The robots weren't proving a challenge. Melting through their outer casing with his flames, Izuku ripped through them, racking up points.
As he worked, he kept an eye out for Kacchan.
In the crowd of the main hall, he hadn't been able to see him, but he thought he could make out the tell-tale noise of explosions in the distance.
How much time had passed?
10 minutes?
20?
Couldn't be much left.
By his count, his point total was somewhere in the high 40's. Surely that was enough?
A siren cut through the noise of fighting. Izuku looked up.
What's this? Something new?
Present Mic hadn't mentioned anything apart from the robots, but then, they were being tested to determine their ability to adapt to a situation.
A building to his left crumbled, and through the smoke, he made out the form of a massive robot, way bigger than anything they had faced.
Izuku set off towards the mechanical behemoth.
He passed other examinees who had decided not to test their luck against the big one. Izuku smiled.
"I'm fired up now!"
He wasn't the first to arrive. As he approached the robot, he could make out a shock of blonde hair.
"Hey Kacchan! Long time!" He called. "Wanna take this one toge-"
"Back off Deku! This ones mine." Bakugou cut across him.
"Looks big enough to share, I'd have thought." Izuku retorted.
He took in his surroundings, trying to formulate a plan.
There were plenty of buildings nearby, he should be able to find a good vantage point.
Kacchan might have the advantage, given his quirks aerial applications, but that wouldn't stop Izuku from doing his best.
Plenty of fire, given the fighting. That would be usef-
What was that?
Amidst the rubble, directly in the path of the trundling robot, lay a prone body.
"Oh my God... Is that..?" Izuku wondered aloud.
"What?" Bakugou demanded.
"SHIT! Kacchan, cover me!"
Izuku shouted, setting off at a run.
"You don't tell me what to do you bast-"
"KACCHAN, NOT NOW! Can't you see her?! JUST DO IT."
"See who? What are you talk-" Bakugou saw.
"Fine. I've got you. NOW RUN, YOU NERD!"
                                ***
Izuku ran, dodging shrapnel. He didn't heed the robot, safe in the knowledge that Kacchan had his back.
One of the smaller 2-pointer 'bots approached him, but he tore through it and kept running.
"Uraraka! Uraraka, get up!".
Vaulting a collapsed wall, he reached her.
"God, are you okay?"
No response.
He checked her wrist, and was relieved to feel a gentle pulse. He scanned for obvious injuries. Damn. Leg's fractured, possibly even broken.
She must have been near the building when it collapsed. Hoisting her into a fireman's hold, he ran, trying to avoid jolting her leg.
He looked back over his shoulder, where Kacchan was holding his own against the robot.
"HEY KACCHAN! GIVE IT HELL FOR ME"
Their eyes locked, and despite the distance, Izuku swore he saw him smile.
                                ***
The first aid centre was already mobbed, but Izuku pushed through the crowd.
"Nurse! Is there a nurse?" He called.
"That's me, dearie. What do we have here?"
The crowd parted to let an old lady with a walking stick through.
Izuku lay Uraraka down as gently as he could.
"Broken leg, I think. She was near that big building when it collapsed."
"Hmmmm. Yes, well I think she should be all right, just let me..."
Izuku was confused when recovery girl leaned forward and planted a wet kiss on Uraraka's forehead.
"My quirk is called 'Heal'." she explained.
"It allows me to augment an individuals natural regenerative abilities. She'll be fine in 20 minutes or so. You should probably stay with her 'til she wakes up.
Here: Have a sweetie." She dumped some gummy bears into Izuku's hand and wandered off.
                               ***
Izuku vaguely remembered the horn blowing, signalling the end of the exam.
Uraraka woke up soon after. "Hey."
He said gently squeezing her hand. "You feeling okay?"
"W-What happened?" Uraraka was dazed.
"I was hoping you could tell me! We found you passed out, over by the collapsed building. Your leg was broken, but Recovery Girl patched you up."
"I think I remember... There was a siren, and then a crash... I guess I must have taken a hit to the head or something. Thanks for helping."
She tried to stand.
"Woah, take it easy. Give your leg a while to heal. You shouldn't be putting weight on it."
Izuku sat her back down.
Uraraka nodded.
"We?"
"What do you mean?"
"You said 'We found you'.
Who else was there? I should probably thank them too."
"Oh yeah, that was Kacchan. He's probably around here somewh-"
"Hey, you okay?"
Bakugou appeared from the crowd. "You looked to be in pretty bad shape."
"Oh, I'm fine." Uraraka replied.
"Thank you... Kacchan?"
"S'okay. That hunk of scrap wasn't that tough."
He turned to go.
"Oh and Deku? This doesn't make us friends."
Izuku smiled up at him.
"Of course not, Kacchan. Wouldn't dream of it."

* Hey guys, please remember to vote if you liked my story. I crave validation from anonymous people on the internet :) *