Chapter 8

A hand on his shoulder jolted Izuku back to reality.
"Hey Deku? Are you okay? You're kind of... blanking."
Izuku turned to Uraraka, and smiled reassuringly. He cast one last look over his shoulder at Todoroki, who was seated alone at the back of the bus.

Todoroki's words had been haunting him these last few days, Ever since his bedside confession

Izuku has been bullied, battered, and ignored through much of his childhood, but he always had his Mom. He couldn't begin to imagine what Todoroki has been through. He had always admired Endeavour, aspired to be like him, to achieve a similar mastery of his flames. But Todoroki has borne witness to the coldness that lay behind the raging inferno.
He shook himself, ridding his mind of such thoughts. Class 1A were en-route to a specially built training centre, where the rescue hero 13 was to walk them through various scenarios. Try though he might, Izuku was finding it hard to get excited about it, it's significance paling in light of recent revelations. Even the fact that he was seated next to Uraraka wasn't able to hold his attention. He lapsed into thought again, and there he remained until the bus hissed to a stop.
                              ***
"Welcome," 13 announced, spreading her arms "to the Unforeseen Simulation Joint."
Izuku marvelled at the set up. He could make out a variety of zones, each a simulation of some natural disaster or other. 13 explained how they were going to work their way through the zones, learning how best to save lives.
                                ***
Kirishima saw them first.
"H-hey 13. What kind of natural disaster is that?" he asked, pointing to the swirling mass of darkness that had appeared in the middle of the compound. Instantly, Aizawa was alert and wary.
"That's not a simulation." he said, drawing his visor up to cover his eyes.
"13, get them out of here. I'll hold them off until you can get help." Turning to the class, he pointed at the figures that had began to emerge from the churning portal and smiled a wry smile.

" Turning to the class, he pointed at the figures that had began to emerge from the churning portal and smiled a wry smile

"We weren't suppose to be covering this until next term, but I guess it can't hurt to get a jump on the competition. Soak it in kids; That's what a villain looks like."
With that, their solitary teacher charged the mass.
                                ***
Tomura Shigaraki turned to the shadowy figure on his right.
"Kurogiri, you're on babysitting duty. Go deal with the small fry."
***
Fighting villains had never been 13's job. She was a rescue hero, for God's sake! She had dealt with serious situations before, obviously, but collapsed structures didn't fight back. She was way out of her depth here. She wracked his brains, trying to remember back to the combat training he'd received in school. Okay. Okay. Calm.  Assess the situation. No hostiles in the immediate vicinity. Exit routes? Exit routes. He could do that.
"You heard Eraserhead. Let's go!" She said, shepherding the shellshocked students towards the main entrance. Suddenly, a wall of darkness appeared in their path. A figure stepped out from among the shadows.
"I'm afraid, 13, that you won't be going anywhere."

* Hey there readers! This chapters shorter than normal, but I'll try to have the next, longer chapter up in the next few days. In the meantime, enjoy! (Or, you know, don't. Up to you.) *