Chapter 10 - Doppelgänger

A wall. Crimson and Jake had walked all the way just to face a wall. "This... Is it?" Crimson huffed, placing a hand on her hip. Her feet were aching from the walk here. They must've been at it for half an hour. She was getting impatient. "I thought this was supposed to be our escape? How do we get through a wall?" she questioned, staring at Jake.

Jake stared at it for a bit, his brows furrowing. "No, Arden must've made an escape. If he did so much for his wife, he wouldn't have let her just rot to death in a tunnel," he frowned. Jack cautiously placed a hand on the wall, planning on feeling around for some sort of clue. Suddenly, his hand passed through.

Crimson froze as she watched her friend slowly melt into the wall. She may or may not have uttered a curse. Suddenly his head popped out again. "Come on! The wall is the exit! It's just a magical barrier!" Crimson stared at him for a couple seconds, but he didn't seem to be joking. She hesitated for a bit before she too stepped through the wall.

She felt weird. Her body felt like jelly, still wiggling to and fro. She didn't think walking through a magical wall would feel like this. She thought it would be more like a strong burst of wind or something like that. Well, technically, she had never really thought about it until she had to experience it.

Crimson scrunched up her face, her emerald green eyes only slits. The sun was still high in the sky, like none of their previous adventure had happened. Though Jake and Crimson had spent a few hours in Fhroreevere Town, time seemed to have stood still back in Gregorax. It was a bit disorienting.

The land around them was barren, like everything was sculpted from marble. Crimson finally realized, under the boiling heat, that she was still wearing the cloth around her head. She quickly took it off and placed it in her bag as she followed Jake. "This... Is very weird," Jake spoke slowly. "The sky is exactly like Gregorax's sky but.... What is this place?"

Almost suddenly, the ground shook below their feet. Crimson wobbled but managed to stay in her feet. "Crimson!" Jake gelled, holding out his hand. The teenage girl reached out to hold Jake's outstretched hand, but before she could, a wall of mirrors rose from the ground. She saw a glimpse of Jack before he disappeared behind the mirror.

Crimson landed roughly in her butt, kicking up a cloud of white dust. She focused on getting up first before scoping to see where she was. All around her were mirrors, showing her one image, herself. A dreadful silence hung in the air, an annoying high pitched buzzing ringing in Crimsons ears. "What is this place?" her soft words seemed to be swallowed by the silence, making it hard for her to even hear herself.

She stared walking, her feet not making any noise even if she stomped it on the floor. Yet, she didn't dare shout and try to break the silence. It seemed wrong to do so. All around her were images of herself. It was enough to drive someone crazy. Every mirror she looked at seemed to point a flaws in her appearance.

A mirror close by made the pimple on her cheek look gigantic. Another one made the scar on her collarbone look like a gigantic gash through her chest and neck. Subconsciously, Crimson touched that little scar. She had gotten it as a child, when she ignored her mother's warnings and tried to pick up a knife. She had accidentally dropped it and it cut her. It wasn't dangerously deep, but enough to make a scar.

She started walking again, keeping her eyes on the ground. This mirror place wasn't much of a maze. Every branching section always met up again. Suddenly, she could hear the mumbling of another person. It sounded like... Jake! The familiar sandy hair came into view, though it looked a bit washed out. His skin was pale, like he had stayed inside for months.

"Crimson!" his voice held surprise, but also anger. "This is all your fault! If you hadn't been all sad and stuff, we would've found out more information about this place!" His words were icy. Crimson froze, staring at Jake. He wasn't usually like this.