Chapter 12 - Hectic Heights

Jake stared at her for a moment, confusion swirling in his warm brown eyes. "How?" He asked, slowly climbing up the stairs. He easily leapt from one to the other, his wounds not slowing him down. "And how did this staircase appear?" He questioned again before Crimson could answer his first question.

"A Nheiter emerged from the walls. Ms Stone, that's what I called her, helped me. She did some palm reading to see if I was really me and then helped me realize the door is on the ceiling," Crimson explained as Jake came to the same stair she was on.

"Then come on, let's go up," Jake chuckled, rolling his eyes at her. "We can't waste time right? Time will be waiting." His hands gripped the door knob. It cleanly twisted, like it had been oiled. The door swung open, almost smacking Jake in the process. He grumbled before clambering out. Crimson, stifling a giggle, climbed out too.

The door melted back into the floor when it closed. It became one with the smooth pebbles ground. They were back on Gregorax. It seemed the mirror room was underground, with an open-air ceiling. But now the two were back on the planet. And in front of them, the clock tower stood.

"We'd better get climbing," Crimson muttered as she placed her hand in a little nick. It seemed to be worn down, but was really easy to grip. It felt like smooth cobblestone. "Are you fine? Not too hurt?" Crimson questioned as she started climbing up.

Jack shook his head and followed behind Crimson. "Being hurt never stopped me," he chuckled, making his way beside Crimson. She let out a laugh, nudging him playfully. However, she ended up almost falling because of that. Jake stretched out his hand and caught her before she toppled backwards.

"That was close," Crimson squeaked, gripping the crevices tighter.

"Be careful then," Jake grinned, shifting his hands into talons for an easier grip. He half crouched before leaping up, bounding ahead. Crimson frowned playfully before climbing quickly, determined to show Jake she could be better then him without any powers.

The two, tired from moving as quickly as possible, stopped down to rest on a ledge. So far, no one had seen them climb up the impressive structure. Crimson looked up to see they were about a third the way there. The second hand on the clock face was slowly making its way, the obsidian material gleaming in the light of the scorching sun.

Crimson grinned, feeling a soft wind batting her face. But when she looked down, she suddenly felt light headed. Her stomach lurched forward and she unconsciously gripped the ledge tighter until her knuckles turned white. She stared at the ground, which looked like it was a kilometer far.

"Crimson?" Jake's voice tore her away from the sight below. "Are you okay?" Worry filled his voice as he locked eyes with Crimson. Her face was pale and each breath she took was shuddering. "Don't look down, okay? Let's rest a bit then I'll try and fly us up there."

"No!" She snapped, the colour flooding back into her cheeks. "Don't shift. You're tired. I'm fine. I'm going to be an aviatrix so I have to be okay with this sight. It's training." Her voice wobbled but her gaze was steady. Jake reluctantly agreed, watching as Crimson stood up on shaky legs and started climbing again.

He leapt up and followed Crimson from behind, ready to catch her if she fell. No way was he going to not take precautions. Luckily, there was only a few slips here and there, which Crimson quickly recovered from. She kept moving, only resting when Jake kept pestering her to.

"Please-" he would start, but Crimson would cut him off.

"I'm fine. It was just shock, that's all. I'm getting used to the height," she comforted. Jake watched her for a bit but her body posture was completely relaxed. Jake finally relaxed and nodded.