Chapter Six

Sunshine 🌞

Are you home yet? I'm omw

11:23 am

Taylor felt her phone buzzing in her pocket and tried to retrieve it as subtly as possible. She opened the text under the table and smiled. When she glanced to her side, she could see Tree giving her a stare. She rolled her eyes at her publicist and quickly typed out a reply. She always felt like a student who was being scolded for not paying attention in class. But she was the boss here, and she would look at her phone if she wanted to.

Tay 😻

No, the meeting will go a little longer than expected. I'll let you know when it's over!

11:24 am

Karlie got off the subway when she read Taylor's response. Her heart sank a little. She had wanted Taylor to be home already. Oh well, I'll just bake something until she comes back, she thought as she climbed up the stairs to the street level. She walked to the apartment and let herself in with the key, and texted security that she was there. The usual procedure.

Sunshine 🌞

Alrighty!

11:24 am

Karlie's use of the word 'home' hadn't escaped Taylor. She smiled to herself. She could still feel Tree's death stare on her. She was totally paying attention, Tree didn't have to worry. Something about the security policy of the stadiums they had booked for her upcoming tour ... something something. She let herself slip into a dangerous daydream. She thought about what it would be like to come home to Karlie later, who was probably arriving at her place at this very moment. She thought about what it would be like to come home to Karlie every day like this. She read the text again, smiling at the word 'home'. Karlie had used it so naturally. Didn't it feel natural to Karlie, too? She sent a quick text back and forced herself to snap out of it, before Tree would murder her with her eyes.

Tay 😻

💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

11:25 am

***

"I'm home!" Taylor called when she entered the door.

"Hey babe!" Karlie's voice sounded from the kitchen.

Taylor felt her whole body tingling. How she wanted this every day.

She took off her coat and shoes and went into the kitchen.

"What smells so good in here?"

Instead of a response, she was wrapped into a tight hug by Karlie and meowed at by her two cats who were sitting on the kitchen island.

"Hey" Karlie said softly, and Taylor reciprocated the hug. She gave her a quick kiss, then looked her up and down.

"Hey, that's my apron!"

Karlie rolled her eyes playfully.

"But you can wear it, it's cute on you, I guess" Taylor added drily.

She turned around to Meredith and Olivia, who were jumping off the kitchen island just then.

"These two know just as well as you that they're not allowed to sit on there!" she said, but couldn't hide the grin from spreading across her face.

"What kind of shenanigans have you three been up to while I was gone?"

Karlie grinned back at her: "Oh, I baked some cookies, and then it was lunchtime and I got hungry so I made some Indian curry. Where did you get all those spices in your cabinet from?"