Chapter Nine

They stepped outside and inhaled the fresh morning air. The sun was just about to rise, a faint purple line was visible between the high buildings of Manhattan.

Taylor allowed herself to become visible again. She rubbed her temple.

"Are you okay?" Karlie asked and put a strand of hair out of Taylor's face. She felt relieved everything had gone according to plan.

"Yeah, just a bit of a headache from the effort" Taylor said and shrugged.

"It will go away, it's not a big deal."

Karlie chastely kissed Taylor's forehead, then turned around to walk, pulling the singer with her. Taylor felt on high alert from the display of affection but told herself to calm down. There was no one around. She walked with Karlie.

"Are we being picked up somewhere or do we have to walk home?" she asked drily after a few minutes.

Karlie laughed. "Relax, Taylor. We can call security anytime. I just wanted to enjoy a nice morning walk and go to a bakery. I'll make breakfast when we get home."

"Okay, I didn't say anything, then. Don't wanna mess with your plans for me today." Taylor chuckled.

Karlie turned towards her and grinned at her, and Taylor did the same. She wished she could hold her hand right now. But it would be too risky. They were walking along the street next to Central Park. The city was waking up more and more with each step they were taking. The traffic had increased considerably. Nevertheless, people did not seem to stop and pay attention to them. Everyone was hurrying along in the cold of morning.

They stopped at an intersection and crossed the road. On the corner of a side street, there was a small French bakery. Karlie's face lit up and they went inside. Taylor simply followed her. The store had just opened, and there was only one other customer inside. It was warm and smelled of freshly baked bread and ground coffee. Taylor felt herself relax, yet she didn't turn her face towards the clerk behind the counter and instead looked at the sweet baked goods on display at the other end of the store.

"I would like two regular and two chocolate croissants, please." She heard Karlie place her order.

When they exited the store, Karlie had a look on her face Taylor couldn't quite place. The taller girl took her hand and squeezed it briefly, then let go again. They kept walking in silence.

"I'm gonna call your security guard to pick us up again" Karlie announced after a while. "Or do you want to keep walking?"

"No!" Taylor protested and they both laughed. Taylor realized how comfortable Karlie had gotten in her interactions with Taylor's security team. She wasn't sure if it was a good or a bad thing. Karlie made the call, and Taylor kept pondering about it. After Karlie hung up, she had concluded that it was a good thing. This was the reality of her life, after all. She couldn't change it. So Karlie had adjusted to it.

"He'll be here in about five minutes, I told him to meet us at the next intersection" Karlie interrupted her thoughts.

"Thank you" Taylor replied and looked up at Karlie. They smiled at each other.

Karlie stopped walking for a moment to touch Taylor's shoulder. "Let's get you home, hmm."

All Taylor wanted was to lean in and kiss her, but she knew it would have to wait. She also knew the wait would be worth it. Karlie was worth the wait. If it meant she got to kiss Karlie as many times as she pleased later, she could always wait.

They made it to the intersection. At the corner on their side of the street there was a construction site that seemed to start operating for the day. They still had a few minutes until Taylor's driver would be there, so Karlie pulled Taylor with her into the quieter side street. Next to the construction side, the shops were still closed. They decided to wait there.