Chapter Ten

Cora craned her neck to get a better look out of the car window as her dad slowed down the vehicle to pull into the long driveway. She gasped when she saw the mansion it belonged to. The enormous building had white walls, a black roof and she could make out three big chimneys, two of which were emitting smoke. Something told her she had seen this house before, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

She was about to ask her dad for the millionth time that day where they were and what they were doing, but they were approached by a tall security guard with an iPad in his hands who was talking to someone via headphones.

"Good afternoon" the security guard greeted them in a friendly voice, and her dad returned the greeting.

"Welcome. May I have your names, please?"

"Michael and Cora Edwards" her dad replied.

Still not knowing where they were or why they needed to give their names, Cora just nodded along and smiled when the security guard looked at her.

"Ahh, yes, found your names" the man tapped the iPad a few times, then looked up at them again and stepped away from the car.

"Have a good time!" he said as he gave another security guard on the other side a thumbs up.

"Thank you!" her dad said cheerily and they drove into the parking lot in front of the house.

A couple of cars were already parked there. The snow that had fallen overnight was muddy on the concrete.

Mike parked the car and switched off the engine, then looked at his daughter with a wide smile.

"Are you excited?"

Cora rolled her eyes. She had no idea why her usually so well-composed and even strict father was behaving like a bubbly teenage girl since they had left the house.

"Dad, I'm happy you're excited, but would you please tell me where we are or why we are here?" she groaned.

She had tracked their drive on Google Maps, so she knew they were in a small town in Rhode Island. They had driven for over three hours.

"You know what state you're in, right?" her dad teased.

"Yes. A state of slight annoyance at you right now" Cora deadpanned.

Mike snort-laughed. He grinned at his daughter once more, then opened the car door and got out.

Cora threw her head back against the car seat and closed her eyes. What was this all about? Her dad had been behaving, well, very un-dad-like since he had announced to her the day before that she should 'wear her best clothes tomorrow because we're going to a special place'.

"But I have plans to go to the movies with my friends tomorrow night?" she had protested.

"Oh, well, cancel them. Trust me. You will thank me later, and your friends will understand" Mike had simply said.

So now here she was, wearing her new dress with a cardigan over it, shivering from the cold and anxious anticipation as she made her way around the muddy puddles in the parking lot to the front door.

She was on a lower step when her dad rang the doorbell, and she heard footsteps quickly approaching and muffled voices from inside.

The door opened and her jaw landed on the floor, and she had to hold on to the handrail in order to not stumble backwards.

"Hey Mike, good to see you again!" the tall, blonde woman said excitedly and hugged her dad, who returned the sentiment.

Wait, what?