So Alike, Yet So Different

I haven't been able to sleep properly since I got here, Brendon.

June, you're going to end up killing yourself.

I don't want to leave you. You've given me the closest feeling to peace I've felt since I've gotten here.

The feeling is mutual. I haven't felt truly happy since James ruined my life, until now. I don't want you to leave, but you need sleep.

I don't.

Bring a pillow and a blanket and come sleep on the floor with me. Maybe I can help.

Okay.

The memories of Brendon and I together were the only things I could think about that wouldn't send me into a meltdown. Exactly what I predicted happening to the other three girls happened to me that night, and I was left alone the next day to think about what had happened. 

Oh, June. You ARE my favorite.

I cringed at the less happy memory that decided to intrude my mind. 

James locked me in the backroom in order for me to think about what had just happened more, which was not at all what I needed. I felt dirty. I couldn't even move because he tied me to the bed before it happened and he hasn't untied me since. Seconds turned into minutes, minutes into hours. I missed my life. I missed hating my husband. I missed my awful job. I missed what I used to think was a bad day. I missed my son. Anderson was all that mattered to me, I was determined to stay alive and escape this damn place for Andy.

Hours turned into days.

I missed Brendon. He was the only one who could comfort me now. Was he okay? Did James finally decide to fuck everything and just kill him? Thoughts of both Brendon and Andy's deaths swarmed my mind. What if James hurt Andy? What if he brainwashed him and made him one of his guards? This was the first time I had ever thought of this and the likelihood of it was higher than I originally thought, and it terrified me.

The door creaked open and I began to hyperventilate immediately

It was Brendon, I could tell by the genuine smile painted on his face instead of the smirk worn by James. "I'm going to get you out of here, June." he said causing me to let out tears in relief. He untied me gently and hugged me tight as I cried into his chest.

"I'm so sorry for whatever that fucking cunt did to you." he hugged me tight for what felt like forever. "Dodie is the only one left, we discussed an escape while you were locked in here and we took action. James is unconscious tied in a closet, we got his keys the door is unlocked Dodie is waiting for us there."

All this seemed too good to be true, but I didn't care, I just wanted to escape.

We walked through the mold infested hallways that continued to reek from the lack of maintenance. None of the slaves were anywhere to be found which set off alarms in my mind, but I was about to be rid of this hell forever. Brendon stopped in front of a hall closet right before the only exit.

"Do you want to see him and where he'll suffer and die for everything he did to you?" he asked.

I nodded. I wanted to see this inhumane monster that murdered five innocent women, had his way with five of them, and ruined the life of one of the most undeserving people I've ever met. 

He opened the door and there he was, Brendon's look alike, tied against a hot water pump. I could see burns on his neck from where he'd accidentally lean back and it would scald his skin. There's no telling the state his back was in at this point. What a deserving way for this awful man to suffer. His eyes, which were once filled with insanity and hate, were now filled with worry. He looked up at me with those pleading eyes and let a tear loose, murmuring a sentence from under the cloth stuffed in his mouth secured by duct tape. How could two human beings look so alike, yet be so different?

"I called the police, they'll find his body eventually and the world will think I'm dead." he looked at me and smiled, "June I need to ask you something, will you leave with me? Can we live in seclusion together happily?"

There were more important things to me than the feelings I had for Brendon, my son. "I can't just leave Andy thinking I'm dead, Brendon." He looked at me and begged, "Bring him with us, he can finally have a father. You saved my life when you took the courage to feed me when nobody else would that night, and you helped me realize I wasn't alone, even if it costed you a beating. June I really think I love you and I really want to spend the rest of my life with you and your son." 

I couldn't believe it. I hadn't heard these words like these since my ex husband got me pregnant when I was only a teenager, and he promised to stay with us no matter what.

"Lets just get Andy, we can discuss the future after I know he's safe."

He nodded and we finally walked outside. The cold night air hit my skin for the first time in what felt like years and I took in the fresh air and smiled. Dodie was nowhere to be found, which was worrying.

"The police will be here any minute, we need to escape." Brendon said.

"I'm not leaving her behind Brendon" I yelled

Minutes passed, still no sign of Dodie.

"We need to get out of here."

"No Brendon!" I yelled louder, which angered him. he gripped my arm roughly and guided me to the passenger side of the car and threw me inside. He quickly ran to the drivers side and hopped in, locking the doors. "Brendon, what the hell?" I fussed. He let out a laugh. This laugh was almost psychotic and it lasted for almost two minutes straight. The genuine smile that was on his face before disappeared.

It was replaced by a smirk.