Chapter 9

Kokichi analyzed the situation in front of him: Kaede and Shuichi were staring at each other, undoubtedly sending unspoken messages. Ones that the poltergeist wanted to know, and had to know if he planned to complete Kaito's dare.

The purplenette thought for a moment, he had two options: He could lie about there relationship, or he could tell the truth and try to keep Shuichi out of the spotlight as much as possible. He decided on the second.

Quietly getting up, Kokichi walked around the circle, unnoticed as everyone was talking, he stopped by Kaede and tapped her shoulder. The blonde broke gaze and looked up at him, "What?"

Kokichi was taken aback by the sudden change of tone, "I have to tell you something," He said in all seriousness, then he knelt down and whispered into her ear. "Shuichi is only dating you because he didn't know how to reject you when you asked."

Kaede slowly stood up then smacked him hard across the face, silencing the room. Kokichi winced as he felt the heat rise to his face, he moved his hand to the wound then growled. "It was true y'know..."

The poltergeist turned to face Kaede's angry face, "You know that deep down don't you?" His voice was unnaturally monotonous, she glared at him. "Your nothing but a filthy liar, why would I believe you!" She raised her hand threateningly.

Shuichi stood up and glared at her, standing in front of Kokichi. "You will not strike him again Kaede!" Kaito smiled at him encouragingly, earning a glare from Maki.

"You don't know what he said Shuichi! He said that our relationship is forced! That you don't truly love me! Why are you defending him!?"

"Because he's right Kaede! I-I only accepted your confession because... I-I was afraid of hurting your feelings..."

Her gaze softened, "So you did it so you wouldn't hurt my feelings?" The blunette nodded, Kaede sighed. "Okay, I forgive you but this is the end of our relationship. I don't want to be the one to force you into something you don't want."

Shuichi smiled, and blushed as Tsumugi squealed, "Finally! Now Saihara can get with Momota! Eeeeeee!"

Nobody noticed the small smile that graced Ouma's lips, even if he didn't get Saihara to himself he was happy two of his friends found happiness. Yet the poltergeist was also sad, he knew that eventually as Shuichi and Kaito's relationship progressed they would grow further from him everyday. Soon he'd be alone again, the thought made him frown and walk out of the room.

Kaito and Shuichi noticed this, mostly because they were ashamed about not realizing the disappearance from earlier, and followed him. He had returned to his room where he sat on his bed and rested his head in his arms.

The detective silently poked his head in to see the poltergeist facing away from him, unaware of his presence. Kokichi wasn't crying, he was just depressed. Shuichi and Kaito quietly crept in, at least until a creaky floorboard gave them away.

The purplenette didn't even do much as flinch at the sound, it was as if he didn't care. "Ouma-Kun?" Saihara said softly, walking up to the male. "It's me and Kaito..."

Kokichi shrugged and pulled his knees to his chest. Kaito stepped past Shuichi and knelt down in front of the poltergeist. "Are you upset because I kissed Shuichi?" He asked guiltily, Kokichi shook his head. "I could never be upset about that... my reason is selfish,"

Kaito looked up at him expectingly, "I.... just..." the purplenette sighed, "I know that Shuichi has already accepted your confession." The blunette opened his mouth to deny but was cut off as Kokichi turned to face him, he had the saddest look he'd ever seen on anyone's face. "Don't deny, I know how you look at Kaito, it's love in your gaze."

The two males blushed and turned away from the poltergeist who chuckled, "See I told ya so~" Kaito softly punched Kokichi in the arm, earning a fake whine of pain.

"What is the reason that you're so sad then?" Kaito asked gently, Kokichi sighed in response before answering. "I know that as your relationship grows eventually I'll be left all alone... nobody likes me or had the patience to stick around. When you're preoccupied with your family and things I'll be left alone... selfish I know."

Kaito pulled the smaller into a hug, which he gladly accepted. Shuichi soon joined in, and Kokichi for once in his life felt wanted.

When Kaito pulled away he looked Kokichi straight in the eyes, "We won't leave you, I promise."

Kokichi gave him a small smile before being pulled into another hug. Soon after the trio decided to watch a movie, specifically a horror movie, after all it was half-past seven.

Kokichi picked out the scariest movie he could find, so he could tease Kaito afterwards, and eventually chose The Shining. Gathering both Shuichi and Kaito on the couch he turned off the lights and started the movie.

They watched the movie to the end, laughing as Kaito screamed and clung to either Shuichi or Kokichi, whomever was closest. It was 9:45 when the movie ended.

Thunder growled as Kokichi put the movie back in its case and turned to face the pair, Kaito was hugging Shuichi like his life depended on it. The purplenette snickered and turned on the light, Kaito visibly relaxing.

Ouma then sat down next to Kaito and began to tease him about being a scaredy-cat. That soon ended as the lights flickered and went out. Kaito squealed and pulled Kokichi into his lap, hugging him tightly. The poltergeist blushed but thankfully it wasn't visible in the dark, "Idiot let go of me!"

Kaito only squeezes him tighter, earning a giggle from Shuichi. Kokichi sighed and relaxed in his grip, or he tried to considering Kaito was practically choking him.

The trio heard multiple pairs of foot steps run up the stairs and knock on the door, "Guys it's us! The lights went out! Want to have a sleepover in the foyer?"

Shuichi looked over at Kokichi who nodded, still restrained by the astronaut. The blunette yelled yes through the door and gathered some blankets from each of there rooms, Kokichi would've helped but again the luminary refused to release him.

"Kaito we're going to have a sleepover in the foyer let me go so I can help Shuichi!" The purplenette exclaimed wriggling in his grasp. The taller only buried his face in the crook of Kokichi's neck, earning an annoyed huff from the other.

"I thought you were dating Shuichi, go hand around him instead!" Kaito lifted his head up and planted a kiss on Kokichi's cheek making the male blush. "B-but you li--!" He was cut off by a light kiss to the lips.

"He's not the only one I like~"

Kokichi turned his head away, a large blush growing on his cheeks. He never expected Kaito to like him, especially since before they absolutely hated each other.

The moment was interrupted when Shuichi called their names from downstairs. The pair grabbed their things and started down the stairs to where all of their friends waited.

**(1214 Words)**