01

"Is it just me or is calculus so hard?" Layla complained to Allie as they walked through the giant courtyard during lunch period.

"It's definitely not just you," Allie responded to her friend and brushed her blonde hair out of her eyes. "I'm barely holding a D minus."

"Glad to see I'm not the only one." Layla smiled at her short best friend who was hobbling in high heels. "How can you wear those things? You're going to faceplant on the concrete one day."

"That one day was yesterday, and yes, my wrist is okay thanks for asking." Allie rolled her eyes at the memory of herself tripping in Chem. It was not fun.

She was surprised the meme lords who sat in the back corner of the classroom didn't turn her into one.

"Still. Babe, just because you can't reach the cookie jar does not mean you have to get 4-inch heels. That's what you got me for."

Allie didn't know if she should take it as a compliment or an insult. She decided she wasn't going to ask.

"They're my Mom's new design. She wants me to wear them and see how they feel."

Allie's parents were Charles and Amelia Hastings.

Her mother is the founder of Hastings Incorporated, a big-time fashion brand that only rich people can afford. And her father was a co-founder of an app that helps you find your keys and a major donator and booster to the Football team at Beverly High.

"Oh, well... They're cute." Layla said with an approving nod.

Out of the corner of her eye, Allie spotted Olivia talking to a guy she had not seen at this school before.

The guy was tall, almost as tall as Jordan. And Jordan was tall. He had dark skin and was buff. Just by looking at his attire, which wasn't anything that you bought on Rodeo Drive, Allie could tell he wasn't from here.

"Spencer James," Layla said to her friend without pointing. Pointing is rude.

"What?"

"His name is Spencer James. He's that guy that Coach Baker had recruited from Crenshaw?"

"Oh! The guy from the bad neighborhood?"

Layla nodded. "Yeah, sure."

"Looks like Liv has a crush," Allie said distastefully.

Her, Olivia and Layla all used to be close. Actually, they were a trio. The leaders of the school, even. But ever since Olivia was forced to go to rehab for being a druggie, things changed.

"Jealous?"

"Of the insane drug addict and him?" Allie let out a small laugh. "No, never."

Layla shook her head at Allie's laugh and dragged her over to the picnic table where their group sat.

Hadley, Jordan's current girlfriend, whom he had had for 3 days, JJ, the blonde guy with more brawns than brains and Allie's favorite, her boyfriend, Asher who can be arrogant at times but is usually sweeter than sugar. To her, at least.

"Lexi and Layla. Look at them, always together." JJ sipped a diet coke and nudged Asher on the side. JJ said that just to get on Allie's nerves. She hates when people call her Lexi.

"Fuck off JJ," Asher replied with an exaggerated eye-roll but his tone was telling his friend that he was only joking.

JJ just laughed and turned the other way to flirt with Lucy, one of the no-names JJ brings around every week.

Allie took a seat on top of the picnic bench beside Asher, while Layla sat at the bottom beside Allie's feet.

Asher, being Asher snaked his hands around Allie's waist, bringing her body closer to his.