04

"So, Asher, how's this Spencer James I've been hearing about?" Charles cut his steak as he brought up the question slyly. "He's good, I've been hearing."

A look flashed in Ashers' eyes for a quick moment but disappeared before Allie could ask him about it. "He's good, of course. Not as good as everyone says, but he's alright."

Amelia raised her perfect blonde filled eyebrow. "Not as good as everyone says? What do you mean?"

The four of them sat in a fancy restaurant that Allie had forgotten the name of. Allie was forced to change into one of her mother's dark collection dresses. In Allie's opinion, it showed too much, but she couldn't tell her mother that.

"Well, I just feel like everyone is hyping Spencer up because he's been picked to join the team from a bad neighborhood." Asher shrugged and placed down his salad fork.

"Oh really?" Charles replied. "That's interesting. Alexa, what do you think?"

Allie internally rolled her eyes at her father calling her by her professional name. Everyone called her Allie. But, her parents just had to be different.

"I think I'll have to see him play to judge on him. But I don't think anyone could change my opinion on Ash, here, being the best football player at Beverly."

"What's your position, again?" Allies' father asked Asher.

"Receiver, sir."

Amelia rolled her eyes and sighed at the conversation. "Okay, all this football stuff is giving me acne. Alexa, guess what?"

"What?"

"I have booked you a gig for modeling on the runway for my new fall collection. Isn't that amazing!?"

Okay, first of all, Allie hadn't modeled since she was like, 12, and two, that's not amazing. She had student body president plans for the homecoming dance. She can't just stop everything to go on the catwalk.

But she couldn't say no. Her mother was intimidating and not a person who takes no lightly.

So, Allie put on a fake smile and pretended to be surprised. However, under the table, Asher knew how she was feeling and laced his fingers with hers.

"That's great, Mom! Super intimidating, but great. When is it?"

"In two weeks, in France."

Allie bit the inside of her lip to keep from screaming. It was only when she tasted the metallic blood that she realized she was biting a little too hard.

"Great. Just great."

"Well, since we're talking about good news, I have a new project coming up," Charles announced to the table.

Amelia looked surprised. "Oh really? You didn't tell me about this."

"That's why it's a surprise," Charles replied. "Now, I have been speaking to some creators in South Korea, and we've made a prototype for a new phone."

"Really?" Asher and Allie asked at the same time.

Allie was almost 100 percent sure that neither of them really cared.

"Yes." Charles nodded, looking rather excited for this new project. "We don't have a name for it yet, but it will be rather legendary."

Unlike her husband, Amelia looked discouraged. "What's the catch this time?"

Charles turned his head to his blonde wife. "The catch? What in the world are you talking about, Amelia?"

Amelia scoffed. "Every time you have a new project, you up and run away. Hell, you were just in New York less than 24 hours ago!"