127th Poem: 12-23-18

People always talk about how you need to eat, yet mofos never try to feed you.

They talk about how skinny you are, poking fun 'cause you fit between the spaces of parked cars.

I'm not skinny, bish I'm slender, can't fit my clothes, gotta return them to their sender.

When I was younger I was even smaller, seemed my legs and arms just kept getting longer.

My boobs were small, practically nonexistent, but it's not like I tried to show them off, so it made no difference. (I was ten at the time anyway, so what was the point? I was living life as a kid, not worrying about stuff like this.)

In fifth grade, a boy in my class said I must have cancer, I guess mosquito bites just weren't the right answer.

I felt ugly and scared, thought I'd die soon, 'cause my family was dropping like flies; cancer always consumed. (In fact, an aunt actually died that year or the year before because of breast cancer... I was scared to death.)

But that same night I realized that I was trippin', that dude was just one of those butthole children.

Honestly thought it didn't stop there, at some later date my grandma said something, I so wish that I did not care.

She called me a beanpole. I mean dang grams, I know I'm just a stick! I really thought about it

the entire ride home, hurt, thinking it was wrong to be me.

Sometimes I used to wish I wasn't me (still do trapped thinking only the worst of me), though I did for some time stop being affected by my history.

That year I told myself to stay true and be me. Others' opinions of me didn't matter if I knew the truth and I loved me.

Yeah, it still bothers me, but I'm different too, still in my youth but I'm changin', growing.

I've got new experiences and I'm pushing through, trying to love my body and myself; I hope you do too.

A/N

Song: Janelle Monáe - I Like That

I love this song and it randomly popped into my head as I was looking this poem over in my journal, so that's why it's the song of the chapter.

~~ Originally meant to be a song.

() = added part while translating from paper to laptop.

There's multiple sides to everything and it's all about perspective- just because I don't appear as thick or "fat" as some a-holes call it, doesn't mean I don't get body-shamed too. It happens regardless of your size. I've had a friend who deemed herself fat and was literally the same weight as me, just shorter. I'm like if you're fat, then I'm fat, which brings me to a quote that I wrote in the notes on my phone and kinda forgot about until now:

"We are all fat because the weight of pressures, life, relationships, and expectations rest on our shoulders, but we lose the heaviness when we grow and develop into healthier and happier people." Think about it.

Deuces.