Prologue

The Prominent's Downfall
Prologue
peachyscarlets (1-14-19, edited 12-27-20)

•••

"Welcome to Worldwide Fashion Week!"

The ocean of crowd suddenly roars in response as the colorful rays of lights flicker around the arena. 

"Woosh, the crowd is surely in high spirits!" the host cheers, "Waste all your energy and go cray as we open the first theme, Club Night, with our very own Isla Kershaw."

As a response, the crowd yells in anticipation as the stage begins to look like a club; red and blue lights shining everywhere. I close my eyes and focuses on the loud cheers from the audience-- the fuel that comforts me.

Another walk to rock.

Just like any other walk.. I can do this..

surely...

I can, right?

Something is off. My focus was all over the place  There was a hint of doubt starting to take place and it felt like time was ticking but I'm falling in a deep black hole.

Falling...

And falling..

The noises.. are fading.. 

..

"Okay!" the stage manager claps, nudging me back to reality. She touches my arms and looks at me intently, "You're on, in 3...." she counts , "2... 1.. Let's go!"

Deep breaths... Show time.

My mind was blank. There was only the goal to rock the walk over my thoughts.  I can feel my heels click each step I took. The loud yelling of the crowd taking over me.

And this is it, I felt the rush. The sweet adrenaline running through me as I walk with many cameras flashing towards me.

Ending with a subtle, flowy turn, the next models starts to strut behind me as I return inside the backstage. I take a deep sigh of relief and exchanges greetings with my fellow models in line, waiting for their turn to bless the runway.

•••

"Thank you so much for attending. Have a great week ahead!"

The host bids farewell, signaling the end of the last runway show for the Worldwide Fashion Week. As one of the models, I was informed a while ago that there will be an after party exclusively for the models and important figures in the industry. 

"We're here, ma'am." my family driver, Sir Jan, said as we stopped in front of this big, fancy-looking hotel, crowded with different people, all dressed up prim and properly.

I hopped off the car, "Thank you for driving me today, sir Jan. You can go home early today too, if you want."

Sir Jan quickly shakes his head, "No, ma'am, it's fine. I'll surely be in trouble if I let you off by yourself." he closes the car's door and continues, "It's a party so it would really last late at night, my family surely understands."

Today was supposed to be a day-off. But because it is Worldwide Fashion Week, I am expected to be booked all week long, together with the people working for me. Thinking about it makes me sad since I know these people have their own families too. 

"Shall we get a move on now, Isla?" my manager says, nudging me in my elbow. "Stay here and wait for me, I'll go get our entrance pass." 

She walks off away from us, "Uh, well.. okay, so will you really wait? " I asked Sir Jan again, feeling guilty, "I'm sorry I had to take your only day-off. I'll be sure not to bother you tomorrow so you could use that day."

Sir Jan quickly shakes his head again, "No, ma'am I perf—"

He was cut off when someone held my hand with brute force, making me turn and yelp in surprise. "Oh, you don't have to worry dear sir. I'll take Miss Isla home tonight." 

Shit, that damned voice.