1: Stroll

The Prominent's Downfall
Chapter 1: Stroll
peachyscarlets (1-17-19, edited 12-27-20)

•••

Isla's Point of View

"Grrg..." I utter as the sunlight beams right towards my eyes.

I extend my arms and tried to find the string for my blinders. As I felt it in my hands, I gripped it and pulled it down to stop the annoying sunlight from shining directly at me.

Darkness, again.

I let out a sigh of relief and slowly opened my eyes. "Another boring day." I whisper to myself before rising up from my bed slowly. 

I did my bed wordlessly and started to do my morning rituals-- brushing my teeth, taking a fresh bath, doing my hair, and all the other things. It's too tiring to be a person used to this high maintenance. However, I cannot help it because I know that if I forget doing one, it'd bother me for the whole day until I do it.

•••

I walk down the stairs to watch the TV in the living room. It was silent, only the sound of the maids walking around the house can be heard. Well, of course my parents are not present again. What's new? All I bump here in the morning if I don't have a schedule are the maids and the workers. Not that I don't mind it. At this point, I actually prefer them over my parents.

Seeing no one by the living room, I changed my mind. Maybe a little walk would not hurt?

"Where are you off to, madame?" I stop in my tracks and tucked my hair behind my ears.

"Oh, it's you Hiro." I sheepishly say to one of the drivers who noticed me, "Didn't I tell you to take the day off?" I ask, trying to change the topic.

Hiro shakes his head, smiling nervously, "I'd rather not mada—"

"—I'll take care of him, don't worry. If ever he would scold you, I will tell him I told you to take a day off today."

He gave me a nervous smile as he scratches the back of his head. He looks unsure whether he will leave me or not since he knows he will be responsible if ever something were to happen to me.

I gestured a 'go' and gave a reassuring expression to tell him to go home. I'm sure his family would be delighted to have him the whole day. Since just like Sir Jan, Hiro was on board the whole week because of my schedules.

After enough persuasion, he soon decided to take off and leave the household. Now, it's my turn. I took the cue and left for a walk since today, I'm planning to go for a stroll in the streets. Yesterday's events were too much for me too handle, it occupied my mind the whole night so I decided to wind myself up a little bit. After all, I have no upcoming photoshoots or schedules and it won't hurt, right?

"Necklace! Bracelet! Rings! Starts at 80 jewels!"

"All pink earrings from 40 to 170 jewels!"

"Affordable shoes right here! All sizes available, everything at 500 jewels!"

The streets are busy with a lot of peddlers around, selling random things like jewelries and the such. It is packed with lots of people from families to love birds.

These peddlers who make a living out of the stuffs they sell have to work under the scorching sun for their everyday needs. They have to struggle. While the people like us are lucky enough not to work ourselves off like they do. We do not have to struggle but jewels will still come.

And it says so much about how these social classes deviate with each other and how currency influences life nowadays that it looks like currencies are what makes the world go round. It's nice, but it's an evil too.... If only I could give them my position, I would. This is not the life I want but the world decided that this is where I should be.

I heave a deep sigh as I notice that these lonesome thoughts of mine are starting to surge in once again.

"H-help! Help! It's a thief!" someone yelled.

Due to my kin sense of hearing, the yelling managed to reach my ears. I quickly turn towards the voice to find an old woman yelling for help while pointing at a man running away.

Was she robbed? I panic, not knowing what to do. I stood to my ground while looking at my hands. If I chase that, I'll be damned to getting myself in trouble... not only me, but also the people who works for us.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and decided to.... follow the culprit. I just hope I can take care of this easily and in no time. Running at high speed, I managed to keep up with the thief.

He looked at my side while still running. His face scowls, "Let me away if you don't want to lose that precious face of yours."

I rolled my eyes, "I'll let you away but not with that thing you're holding." I said, pertaining to the things he was stealing.

He clicks his tongue and stops at his tracks. I stop too, facing him. He then fishes out a gun from his pocket as my eyes widened. I was taken aback by it. He cocks the gun while I was still frozen in time. It was my first time seeing a gun, and fighting is not my expertise. I... I can't...

Before I could say anything, he points the gun at me, "This is the end, precious." and he pulls the trigger.

I closed my eyes and gathered all the confidence. The bullet comes towards me in such a high speed. I just prayed for a miracle to come.

And then bam! .... I felt a ripple inside my body, and no pain soon followed. I opened my eyes and saw the bullet hit the wall behind me. Much to our surprise, I was still alive and breathing.

"A.... wizard!!" he exclaims.

He was taken aback by the moment and I took this opportunity to land an attack on him.

Accompanied with an evil smile on my lips, I engulf my fist with my element. I walk towards him while he was shaking in fear. When I was inches away from him, I stopped and lifted my fist in the air— preparing to punch him.

He cowers in fear, surrendering the things to me and I took advantage of it. Using my other hand, I snatched it away from him and said, "Change your ways if you want to earn a living."

With that, I left him in a daze and walked back to the vendor, in which she was happy to see her things.

"Uhm, here's the things that were stolen." I said and offered it to her.

The old woman gets it from my hands and smiles in relief, "Oh! You're a blessing. Thank you so much young lady."

"I'm glad to be of help!"

She takes a look at me, as if examining my face. "Is that a scar? Are you...?"

My eyes widens as I realize where is this about to go. I felt my cheeks heat up. I traced my scar in my face, and quickly thought of a reason, "A-ahh this is a tattoo... because I'm a fan..."

Fortunately, she buys my alibi, "My granddaughter is a big fan too. She watches her shows almost everyday."

I could only stifle a chuckle, as she picks up a small ring with small beads forming a circle and in the center was a wing-shaped metal that's color blue. The wing looks like it belongs to a butterfly, or a fairy, if it exists.

"Please take this as a gift!"

"A-ah, no.. It's not a big deal, really!" I scratch my head in shyness.

The old woman picks up my hand and puts the bracelet to my palm. She smiles dearly and speaks, "As a fortune reader before, I can feel that there's a rumble in your mind and heart. Go to the place that comforts you and have some time for yourself to think things out. Also, always keep that kindness in your heart."