seven.

TWO YEARS LATEREMBER

TWO YEARS LATER
EMBER

I stand beside my husband in the graveyard that's just outside of town. We're all dressed in black, gathered to pay our respects to Freddie Thorne.

John Junior, now six years old, stands at my side on his best behavior while his eleven month old brother, Henry, wails in my arms.

"Give him here." John whispers, his hands reaching for the baby.

Henry; who we affectionally call Harry, as he is infinitely more wild than his older brother ever was, gets passed to his father. Almost instantly he settles, his sobs turning to soft hiccups.

I look at the two of them together and can't help the smile that crosses my face despite the somber circumstances of my brother-in-law's passing. Seeing John with our children never ceases to make me fall harder for the man I've loved nearly my entire life.

Facing forward once more, Tommy continues his speech. "But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit to a new generation before he was cruelly taken."

The service comes to an end and Freddie's friends and family begin to disperse. I grab Ada, pulling her into a warm embrace. "Will you leave for London now or at least stay the night in Small Heath?" I ask gently, hoping she'll stay.

"No." She shakes her head. "I've got to get Karl home today but I want you to come visit me sometime. Just a few days alone for us sisters. It'll be like a little holiday for you, if my brother will let you out of his sight." Ada smiles but I can see it's not entirely genuine because it doesn't reach her eyes.

Tommy approaches the two of us then. "A word, Ada?"

"I'll keep an eye on Karl." I say giving her another hug, sneezing tightly in an attempt to ease the pain I know I can't take away.

Tommy and Ada disappear to talk and I make my way back to John and our children. Johnny and Karl chase each other in circles, giggling as the rain begins to fall.

My husband's hand finds its way to the small of my back protectively. "Are you feeling alright?"

"John, I'm barely pregnant." I smile up at him. "No need to fuss over me yet."

He shakes his head in disagreement. "I think this one is a girl though."

"So she'll be even more tough." I smirk.

"Who's tough?" Polly asks suddenly, coming out of nowhere.

No one besides John knows I'm pregnant yet and I want to keep it that way for a little while longer. "Ada." I say, the lie comes easily.

"Speaking of, I should save her from Thomas." Polly excuses herself and joins her niece and nephew who are now across the cemetery.

"Nice lie." My husband says.