nine.

TOMMY

After four days on the river with Curly and his horse tonic, we reach Camden Town and I'm healed enough to function on a primitive level.

Before we left Small Heath, Charlie had spoken briefly of an attack on Ada and Ember and that John had immediately gone to London to look after his wife. As much as I want to meet with Alfie Solomons, my first priority is family.

Reaching Ada's flat, I pause outside her door. Not moving to immediately enter, I prepare myself for my younger brother's rage.

Finally finding my resolve, I knock and am shocked to see it is Ember who answers the door. The parts of her skin not hidden beneath her emerald green dress are covered in mottled bruises and a fresh wound on her temple is beginning to heal. She moves slowly, still in obvious discomfort and my heart clenches.

"Tommy?" She looks surprised to see me and at the mention of my name John is instantly in the doorway.

"You shouldn't be up, love." His tone is gentle but I know it will be anything but that when he speaks to me.

Ember takes John's outstretched arm and allows him to lead her back to the couch in the sitting room. "Sorry." She rolls her eyes at her husband's overprotectiveness. "I was already up when he knocked."

"Ember." I'm not sure what exactly to say and settle for an apology. "I'm so sorry you were hurt."

John's temper rears it's ugly head. "Don't talk to my wife." He orders. "The two of us can talk outside after I get her comfortable. You can wait in the hall."

"Where's Ada? I need to speak with her as well." I ignore my brother's attempt to remove me from the flat.

What I don't expect is the revolver suddenly cocked and pointed in my direction. "John!" Ember shouts in disbelief.

But he doesn't lower his weapon. "Out." John stresses the single word.

Deciding not to push him further, I step back into the entryway, exit the flat, and gently close the door behind me. Several moments later John joins me in front of our sister's home, he looks livid but says nothing at first.

"The fuck happened to you?" He asks as he finishes looking over my own various injuries.

"Same thing that happened to Ember and Ada. I reckon Sabini isn't happy about our presence in London."

John looks as though he wants to hit me but doesn't. "She's pregnant."

Now I know I'm in for it. My brother, while fiercely protective of our entire family, is unforgiving when his wife or children are in jeopardy and Sabini has singlehandedly threatened both of those things at once.

"John." I say, hoping to ward off any impending altercation; physical or verbal. "I will take care of this."

He snorts, a humorless smirk gracing his face. "You always do, right? The great Tommy Shelby here to save the day. You can't really expect me to believe that shit anymore. Look at what happens to Ember every time you 'take care of it'."

"I understand your anger, brother." There's no point arguing with him over Ember, especially when I'm in the wrong. "You're right. In my efforts to build the Shelby enterprise, Ember has not always been treated the way she should. Her welfare has sometimes taken a backseat in order to benefit us all. But I swear to you that will no longer happen. I love her too, John, despite what you may think."

My words have done nothing to ease his rage. "If anything happens to any of them ever again, I swear to God, I will walk away from you and this entire fucking family. The money, the thrill, the power; none of it matters to me if it means Ember and my kids are in danger."