Chapter 2

2

When I walked onto campus I immediately felt like an outsider. Everyone was staring at me.

I had decided to wear my black hooded sweat shirt, what I believed to be stylishly ripped jeans, and my most comfortable pair of converse that day. It was like a bad game of Where's Waldo as I stood in the sea of stylish hair, expensive shoes, and clothes that didn't come out of a Walmart clearance bin. That, paired with transferring in in the middle of the second month of school meant bad news for me.

Apparently I had made an impression because the looks they gave me made me feel like an ant under a microscope being stared at. Like hell I was going to let them know that, though. Instead I put in my ear buds and turned the music on my Mp3 all the way up. Slinging my tattered black messenger bag over my shoulder, I walked through the crowd casually. I could feel them all staring at me, looking me over. As if I they were trying to decide if I was good enough for their school. I had the inkling that they were probably talking about me but my ears were full of Breaking Benjamin's I will not Bow so I easily ignored it.

I walked into the first large building and looked at the small strip of paper I held in my hands the nice lady in the office had handed me only minutes ago. That little strip held my new schedule. While in Brooklyn I had searched the schools website and got to pick some of the classes I liked so whatever was on this paper shouldn't be so bad. I read it over while trying not to get pulled and pushed around by the current of teens.

1) World history. At least I could catch up on some sleep in the back of class.

2) P.E. Great. Being sweaty for the rest of the day was so much fun.

3) Geometry. Meh. It wasn't the worst think in the world but far from the best.

4) Photography. I had taken a lot of pictures of me and my friends back home, so it should be a cake walk, right?

5) Biology.

I didn't bother holding back my groan. I hated science. I was never good at it and never would be, no matter how much my teachers objected.

6) Lunch. I had skipped breakfast this morning in hopes of an early lunch. Now I find out lunch is practically at the end of the day. Could this school get any more on my nerves?

7) Art. That wouldn't be so bad. I was pretty awesome in that department if I do say so myself. And I do.

8) English. Oh, how I prayed the teacher wouldn't be a complete asshole. My last teacher was a complete witch and it just ruined the whole experience.

So, my schedule wasn't great but at least the end of the day would be something to look forward to. I hoped.

I made my way up the first flight of stairs and after ten minutes found my History class. It was almost half empty. I walked to the back corner, took a seat hoping they weren't assigned, pulled my hood up and laid my head down in my arms.

Soon, I heard the muffled sound of the bell around my music, followed by kids shuffling in, talking among themselves. I didn't bother to look up if anyone had talked to me. If they tried I wouldn't hear it. Everything was drowned out and muffled by music.

A sudden jerk shook my seat and I felt my entire body jolt from the sudden movement. Slowly, irritably, I peeked out from the dark comfort of my arms. A boy had kicked the chair and was now glaring down at me with hard black eyes.

Sitting up I yanked out an ear bud. "What?"

"We're talking to you," he growled.

Another boy grabbed a hold of my face before I could open my mouth to make any smart remarks and he looked me over, eyes trailing over every feature. I had never thought much of myself, I felt as though I were pretty plain with my light skin, dark hair and matching eyes (and no, that wasn't some vague attempt at false modesty). My dad had tried to convince me I was pretty more times than I could count, telling me that any boy would be lucky to have me. Of course, I never believed him. Hell, he told my mom he loved her and look at what happened.