Chapter 15

15

When I woke up there was a moment of confusion, then pain, and lastly a hunger so intense I thought I was gonna cry. I had to eat. Now.

I climbed to my feet only to find the world was spinning all around me. I instantly felt the urge to vomit but at the same I knew I had nothing in my stomach to vomit up and I tried my best to keep my bile down. As I attempted to steady myself against the smooth wall I blinked down at the floor. Puddles of blood were smeared across the cold tile, not a lot but enough that I was still alarmed to see it. I had been losing a lot of blood recently. If I kept this up I was sure I would die. I was human, I could only survive so much.

At that thought the man's words from before echoed in my head. No, Christine. You're more. So much more. At that point I had denied it as best as I could, telling him I was just me, a not-so-normal human, but deep down I knew he was right. I was more than human. But I was afraid of what I might be becoming.

I unlocked the bathroom door and stumbled out. I'd bother with the cleaning up the blood when I had something in my system. Screw a horse, I briefly thought to myself. I was so hungry I could eat an entire buffalo and then some.

I stumbled down the dark halls until I reached the exit and pressed down on the push bar. It didn't so much as budge. It was locked. I had spent the whole afternoon and most of the evening in the girls' room passed out. I needed to get out. I needed food. Nothing was going to stop me.

It was almost like I was having another out of body experience, or living some hazy dream. It was as if my body was on auto-pilot. I could hear, see, and feel everything that happened around me, but I just couldn't control anything that I did. At least that's how I felt when I raised my hand and smashed it through the glass door setting off the alarms. On the wall next to my head a small red light began flickering in a clockwise motion, like a lighthouse. Ignoring it I brought up my foot and smashed through the glass on the lower part of the door. I climbed through and walked out into the courtyard being greeted by the cool breeze and light rain. Looking up into the sky, at the thick dark grey clouds, I could tell that this light rain wasn't going to last. It was going to pour. It was going to turn into a storm.

I walked a couple feet before a man in a police uniform jogged over flashing his flash light at me.

"Hey," he bellowed. "What you doin' out 'ere!"

I watched as he quickly approached me, my stomach crying out painfully with the need to eat. I was so hungry. I had to eat something. I had to eat. I had to eat. I. HAD. TO. EAT.

After that everything wentcompletely, and utterly black.w