Chapter 17

17

The days turned into weeks and still there was no progress on what caused Mr. Nicholson's horrific death. The crime scene had long since been cleaned up and the glass on the doors repaired. I was surprised they hadn't found my blood there. But then again, the rain would've likely washed it away, including the blood inside. It had been a bad enough storm as to where everything inside the building had been blown off the walls and drenched in rain. I had even heard that some of the doors in the lower floors of the buildings were ripped off their hinges. No one would know what I had done. No one but myself and Mr. Nicholson, of course. Oh- and Gabriel.

I sat in my bed that night before I fell asleep thinking. My mind tried processing what had gone on between me and Gabriel in my living room. He had admitted he was a vampire, too. Or he revealed it without exactly saying it. But odds were, Mr. Gabriel Steele, my English teacher's assistant, was a vampire. And he knew what I was turning into.

I buried my face in my pillow, letting out a distressed cry, and groaned, rolling onto my back. He knew I had been bitten. He had probably been the one to re-bandage my wound when I had that incident in class. He had offered to help me and possibly stop more deaths but I refused him, cast him out into the rain -which had been going on nonstop since then. What had I done? I was probably going to end up as America's next wanted criminal for murder and cannibalism. I'd be on the run for the rest of my life unless I wanted to end up in the electric chair. I would be begging Gabriel for help. He'd probably just laugh and tell me "I told you so" or something ass hole-ish like that.

Yes, yes he would.

Oh, brilliant, it's you. I mentally groaned and was sure he heard it.

You're sarcasm is such a sweetness to my ears, young Christine.

Bull shit. Listen, just leave me alone, won't you? I turned to bury my face in my pillow again. Can't you see I'm busy?

Self-wallow is not something you should subject yourself to, my dear. Next thing you know you'll turn out ugly. That is not something a vampire of such stature should result in.

I'm not a vampire. Leave me alone. I sounded like I was trying to shoo away a little kid.

I refuse to leave until you succumb to your instinct and come to me. I'm not like that human loving teacher of yours. I don't give up easily.

I'm not going to give into you. This is the last time I will tell you. Whatever it is you're planning, count me out.

Why do you insist on pretending? You should realize by now you cannot escape what you are.

I can sure as hell try. Now, get-out-of-my-head! Mentally I shoved and pushed at the part of my mind he had inhabited. There was a sharp stabbing sensation in my brain so intense I cried out in agony. There were small popping sounds in my ears followed by the loud rushing of my blood.

You'll come to me soon, he assured. You'll come to me.

There was a swift knock on the door before mom walked into the room. "Christine? What's going on? I heard you scream." Ever since I had that episode in class, plus the whole break-in thing I had told her about mom has been trying to keep as close an eye on me as possible. I loved that she cared but hated that every time something like this happened I had to lie straight to her face.

I shook my head, trying to hide the nausea that had settled over my stomach. "It was nothing; major cramps. I think I might be starting my period soon, you know?"