Chapter 19

19

I saw through my screen of hair and sheets of rain as Len extended a gloved hand out to me. "Come on, it's my job to get you to the Lord."

I looked up at the man now, my hair hanging loosely in my face. His skin so deathly pale, eyes such a dirty brown, rimmed with that crimson blood color. His black hair hung shaggily at the nape of his neck with streaks of blue, purple, and green blended in to it making it look like the colors an oil spill on asphalt. He snapped his fingers impatiently in my face when I didn't immediately respond. "I don't really have all day here. Got it? It's bad enough I'm stuck with babysitting duties." His mouth twisted in an evil smile. "Or do you want to fight against us like the Lord says you might?"

Behind him I was able to make out the forms of others lurking in the shadows nearby, there were at least a dozen. Damn, they did not play fair.

Very true. Now, be a good girl and go with the men. If not I can't guarantee you won't get hurt.

I raised my hand and tucked my hair behind one ear to clear my vision and glared venomously at him. "Screw you!" My leg shot out kicking him in straight the kneecap. Len cried out and knelt down on the road holding his leg close, swearing to himself under his breath. I took the opportunity and scrambled up to my feet, running, trying to get away from them as fast as possible.

"Don't let that bitch get away!" I heard Len hiss and soon came the pounding of the other vampires' pursuits. It wasn't long before they caught me and threw me down to the dirt, pinning me. They all crowded around, snickering and hissing.

"Looks like you're out of ideas," chuckled one of the vamps holding me down as I thrashed and struggled against their iron grip. He looked around at the other vamps with a smirk. "I don't think the Lord will mind too much if we take a few sips, right boys?" They all laughed, their fangs glinting in their mouths like dangerous knifes. Meaty fingers grabbed at my face, forcing it up and to the side, exposing the main arteries of my neck. With his thumb nail he pressed down into the skin and dragged downwards until he made a small laceration on my neck. Even as I screamed and fought I could feel as the blood rushed to the sliced skin and began dripping from the stinging wound. Licking his lips he leaned down closer to take that awful first taste.

"Halt!" A jolt seemed to run through each of their bodies as they stopped what they were doing and they all turned to look up to where Len stood, his eyes blazing red with fury. "No one touches her. She belongs to the Lord, remember that. Anyone who tries to take a taste I'll personally tear apart. Got it?" Their commander barked in such a loud and commanding voice that even I flinched. Everyone stayed deathly quiet, the fear clogging their throats leaving them rendered completely speechless. "Good. Get her into the van." He looked down at me as they pulled me up to my feet, their hands gripping my arms so tight I winced from the pain of it. "The Lord loves guests." He laughed and they all walked, half dragging me toward a large black van with heavily tinted windows parked not far from where I had collapsed.

One of the vamps slid the door open and they tried shoving me into the back as I screamed and struggled hard.

A roar of an engine sounded in the distance, the splatter of tires speeding through mud getting closer and closer until-

A large forest green truck slammed full speed into the side of the van. The top of the van slammed against my upper chest hard before Len could grab me up and jump away as the vehicle fell onto its side. I cried out in pain and whipped my head up to look at the truck. On top of it stood a familiar girl. The girl I'd seen with the men Gabriel hung out with. The same girl, I realized, that I had seen in my dream. In each arm she held a shot gun. As soon as the truck stopped she jump off and kicked two of the retreating vamps to the floor. Without hesitation she pointed the guns to their heads and shot, blood and brain matter exploding onto her colorful skirts. "It's good to be back!" she cried happily and moved to take down more vamps. Three more men piled out of the truck and began taking down vamps of their own.