Candle Next To The Sun

Chapter 7

Wei Li Lian
Princess Le-anne
Nevoria

Much time was wasted at the city gate. The line was endless, and the officials were lackadaisical in doing their work as they made a nuisance out of having each sedan thoroughly inspected. Even though Le-anne's gate pass was in order, they fussed about how she did not need eight retainers to accompany her into the city. She stood her ground and refused to leave any of her men at the gate; after having travelled from so far, they needed to recuperate.

The officials were unbothered by that; servants' lives were worthless and held no value to them. This concept was hard to digest for her, who came from a place in which each life was regarded as precious.

It was only after she asked to see the minister and threatened them while using her status that they finally let her pass.

The Imperial Capital shocked her with its beauty. She knew that Nevoria would be wealthy, but she had no idea that it was also a place of magnificence.

"Your Royal Highness, please allow me to go out and sit on the steps of the sedan to enjoy the beauty of the capital," Ai said excitedly. For her, this had always been a dream. Unlike Le-anne, she had counted down for their leave at the Borderlands.

"Young Miss Ai will visit the market with me on another day." They could not afford to be open about the princess' arrival. Ai nodded, understanding, and peeped between the curtains. Princess Le-anne had recently bestowed her the title 'Young Miss,' which elevated her above the other maids, who were merely referred to by their name.

"Your Highness, the Capital is quite breathtaking, please have a look!" Ai exclaimed and turned towards her, her smile stretching from ear to ear. Fairy is what had crossed the princess' mind when she first laid her eyes on her. More appropriately, a shrewd fairy, as she was one who easily forgot her place as a servant.

Princess Le-anne pushed the curtains of the sedan and eyed the outside. The streets were littered with citizens walking side by side in luxurious brocades, wide sleeves kissing the ground. The buildings on one side were all ornamented and luxuriously painted, reaching ostentatiously towards heaven. Red, gold and white banners cascaded from wine-houses and restaurants. In front of these were uniformed maids in clean cottons, their hands clasped on their stomachs. They smiled and nodded towards anyone who cast a glance in their direction.

Rainbow bolts of silks were draped all over the marketplace while rosy peaches and various other juicy fruits were piled on the stalls. Compared to Huticah, Nevoria was the sun next to a candle.

"How shameless! Your Highness, men grow their hair in this place," Ai said with a scowl. "And their women don't pin their hair up either."

Le-anne laughed with glee.

"It is tradition for the citizens to not tie their hair up until the new emperor's reign exceeds five years," she tried to explain while catching her breath. "This is their way of mourning their previous emperor for the next five years."

The sedan took a small turn and then came to a stop in front of a huge stony building written 'The Lady Queens' Manor.'

"Your Highness!" Ai gaped, seeming to be out of breath pointing at the curtain beside her. "They are all waiting for Her Highness-" The princess quickly pulled her towards herself and covered her mouth in panic.

"Lady Wei." She admonished her sharply, and Ai's small eyes widened in guilt. For a moment, Le-anne experienced a sense of deja-vu. The other night it had been her backed on a wall and left vulnerable in the hands of someone else.