Muqin And Yu'er

Chapter 57

Grand Consort Shu
The palace

"Consort Wang, why is my maid hurt? I thought we agreed that you would release her unharmed in exchange―"

"Your Highness," Consort Wang begged with her hands clasped together, stopping the Grand Consort from spilling the beans. She wouldn't like the other women to know that she was a discarded consort. Consort Wang, the unwanted consort.

"She asked me for one night with the emperor in exchange of I getting my maid back." Grand Consort Shu laughed.

At those words everyone gasped in shock and a rampant of mocking, laughter, shaming and ridiculing followed. Some whispered excitedly while others chortled. They were all scorning her.

"I knew it."

"Throw her out of the palace."

"Punish her."

Realising her defeat, Consort Wang fell to the ground. "No... no.... It is not like that." That was all she could say to defend herself.

"Shameless, look at her."

"Consort? My foot! She is a skunk from the streets."

"Never will I bow before her. "

"No," Consort Wang cried as she pounded her head on the ground. "No."

"Does that mean the emperor's heart is unoccupied?"

"He will be mine now."

"No. He is mine."

"What is this ruckus?" The quick and sharp words admonished. Only one person liked to use those words, only one who had authority for such speech. Silence instantly pierced the air as everyone fell on their knees.

"Greetings, to his majesty the emperor."

Just the sound of his voice had excitement flood Grand Consort Shu as she laid herself like the rest. The atmosphere was tense. Everyone was already petitioning the heavens for their lives, afraid to die. But her, she felt like she could breathe for the first time on that day.

She was safe now.

Grand Consort Shu was facing the ground when she saw a hand drop by her. She looked up to see her handsome son looking down at her.

'Good looking like your mother,' she thought proudly.

He had his black practising uniform on.

That was something that made her worry. He worked too hard which was not good for him. Soon, his body could start to falter due to exhaustion then his heart would give up.

What if that happened?

"Muqin(mother)." He pulled her up gently, giving her a smile of awe.

She was home. This was her home, her safe haven.

"Yu'er," she rested in his arm. Everyone called him 'His Majesty' but to her, he would always be her Yu'er, her baby, her boy. She could sense the criticisms run through the minds of the cultural rebels who thought it was most disrespectful to call him without title, using an unofficial name for that matter.

"What is the matter, muqin?" He said softly, rubbing her shoulder in affection. It was like he was saying, 'I'm here and I will make it all go away.'

"Your Majesty, our wonderful Grand Consort Shu was just correcting Consort Wang because she dealt with a situation wrongly." Dowager Empress Wang had her head lowered as she spoke. Grand Consort Shu hoped that the woman knew her place, now that she had seen how the emperor treats her.