The Prisoner And I

Chapter 49

Bai Shen Hong
Emperor Huizhong
The Dungeon

The dungeon stunk of everything bad and unimaginable. Bai Shen Hong cringed at every step he took inside, if only not for his curiosity, he wouldn't be there in the first place. But again didn't they say curiosity killed the cat?

Nevertheless, he had to find out who this woman who was causing havoc in his life was. She had been found in many impermissible areas, had suspicious association with General Feng then also, she was too skilled and knowledgeable for a palace maid. It wouldn't be far fetched to assume that she was a spy, here to tail his territory.

"Your Majesty..." The palace guard respectfully bowed.

Shen Hong stopped before him and Luo Meng who was behind holding his black coat came forward to courteously speak for him. "Is everything ready?"

"Yeh... yeh it is. She has fallen asleep, I don't think she could tell that there was anything in the porridge. It was disguised by a burnt taste."

Huizhong looked inside the prison through the barred gate. In the middle of the prison, Little Fox was splayed on the floor. Like she was attempting to crawl towards the cell gate when she lost strength.

"Kind greetings to His Majesty, the mighty dragon!" The Head of the Dungeon kowtowed into the passageway. "Forgive this servant for not being there to welcome His Highness as your servants were busy preparing the antidote." He held a bowl that had brown smoked leaves.

"Good. You may get her ready."

"Yes, Your Majesty." The Head of the Dungeon handed the bowl over to the dungeon guard.

"No," Shen Hong abruptly forbid. "Luo Meng will deal with her, not him." The thought of just anyone touching her didn't quite sit well with him.

"Here to serve His Majesty." Luo Meng handed the coat to the dungeon guard and opened the prison gate to attend to her.

As Luo Meng carried her over to a seated position against the wall, Shen Hong observed her unharmed body. "Why has she not been interrogated yet? Doesn't interrogation take place the day after arrest."

"That Your Majesty..."

So she was being protected. He wasn't being fanatical by not underestimating her after all. "Who is protecting her?"

Shen Hong watched the Dungeon Head's hands fiddle and faddle nervously.

"Speak up."

"General Feng."

Huizhong's eyebrows lifted. The twins had mentioned having seen General Feng and her together before. Could it be that what he denied was true? That General Feng was messing with a woman that belonged to him as the emperor or maybe they were cohorting together? It was uncanny that he kind of wished the latter to be true.

"Forgive this servant Your Majesty... but all this servant can do is listen to orders." The Head of the Dungeon regretted.

Shen Hong admonished this behaviour. "Because you lack a backbone, today will be your last day serving the palace."

"Your Majesty..." The Head of the Dungeon threw himself to the ground. It was such a high cost to pay with his job for no warning had been given, but he couldn't voice his sorrow or opinion as that would be diminishing the one who was considered wise.

"His Majesty is benevolent and wise." The man painfully commended his emperor's wishes.

Huizhong took his black coat and followed in. Luo Meng was waving the leaves' scent to wear off the drug from Little Fox's system.