Damsel And I

Hi lovely reader!
Author here,
This chapter may be confusing at the beginning but it will all make sense by the end of it
Enjoy!!

Chapter 17

Emperor Huizhong
Dragon Palace

He could hear them getting closer and closer by the second. The more he sped up, the greater the disturbance behind him, the leaves rustling and the ground thudding after him.

He slowed his pace and breathed for air. No matter how good his stamina was, after racing up and down for miles, exhaustion had to begin tempering with him. He looked up and noticed that it was getting dark. What were the chances that his entourage had caught on to his disappearance and sent out his military servicemen to look for him?

His keen ears suddenly picked up on something, giving him only seconds to prepare before a group of men in black appeared from behind the camouflaging vegetation, surrounding him. All of them held their sharp swords towards him, greatly anticipating to help him enter the afterlife earlier.

Huizhong also pointed his dragon sword toward them, slowly turning around in a circle as he assessed them with his steady gaze, considering where to start.

His eyes twinkled with dark amusement. "Do you know that this dragon has a record of never losing?" He laughed to himself. "I don't think today will be any different, either."

These men did not seem to be strangers to his feats, as some of the tightly held swords started shaking in their shadowing owners' trembling hands. Utilising the instance of vulnerability, Huizhong briskly jumped forth. His menacing blade flashed as he brought it over his head then hummed a low swift tune when he brought it down.

Small screams and grunts littered the air as he maneuvered from one person to another, blood spattering with the end of each cry. As he sidestepped an approaching attack, the charge that was meant for him ended up slashing an ally of the men in black. He used his sword to parry with his next opponent, and a blade clashed against the tightly strapped metal on his wrists. As a shriek deafened their ears, sparks were sent flying into the air.

Avoiding a kick meant for him by throwing himself backwards, he swiftly coiled his body around before slashing the last man left.

Gore encompassed him as he breathed hard, his eyes flashing coldly as he scanned his surroundings, blade still out and on guard for any stragglers. Considering how little time it took to end them compared to the previous times, maybe he could regard his gongfu to now be ameliorate from the countless years of practising.

He pursed his lips as he surveyed the wreckage of bodies on the ground, their owners' eyes glazed and unseeing.

"Now don't look at me like that." He accused the fallen body that held a blank stare towards him. "I did warn you."

Determined to resign himself from the revulsing scene, he wiped his bloodied sword using the clothes of a cadaver by his leg, staining the fabric with a dark descending color.

Without the sound of screams and clashing swords from before, the scene now seemed utterly silent. For a moment, he simply stood there in the stillness and quiet, nothing but the sound of his own breathing and heartbeat ringing in his ears.

The silence finally broke when he spoke aloud to himself. "Huticah, you stole my father's heart and killed him without mercy. Count this as just the beginning," he spat. "Soon, your traitorous nation will be next." He spoke valiantly, his voice heavy with anger and promised retribution.

Huizhong sheathed his sword and flung it to his back. With unrestrained anger that was effluxing within his veins, he felt like cutting their heads and feeding their carrions to hyenas. Huticah was his enemy and each and one of its people deserved death, innocent or not. He believed that his father's death was worth at least that much.