Chapter 3

Five years after their marriage, Link had recently got back from a mission that took nearly a month. His eyes were hollow, seeming like he had lost some hope.

   Arriving at the castle, Zelda was waiting by the entrance. She knew that Link wouldn't be in the greatest of moods since he lost someone who looked up to him. It looked like he was trying not to fall apart.

   Stopping where he stood, Link looked towards Zelda. "I'm home."

   "Welcome home, Link." Zelda placed a hand on his face, her eyes wavering. "I'm so sorry..."

   Link let out a sigh. "Why does this have to happen again? We failed to protect our friends back then, and now I couldn't even protect the one who looked up to me as a mentor. I'm weak..."

   Zelda felt a sense of deja vu, remembering that she said something like this in the past. She shook her head. "You're not weak, Link. It isn't your fault."

   "I know, but... It felt like I could've saved her. And now... My friend will live a life full of grief because of this."

   Zelda didn't know what to do. She knew that Link has gone through as much as she did. It was like wounds reopened in his heart that were once patched up. "Link..."

   Link looked like he was trying to hold back tears. "Damn it... What if... What if I can't protect our child?"

   Zelda placed a hand on her stomach that wasn't too big yet. Swallowing, she let out a sigh through her nose. "Don't say such things. You are very capable to protect our child."

   "But what if-"

   "No what ifs or buts. Don't let what has happened affect you about your child. I know you will be an excellent father that would go great lengths to protect them."

   Link has lost so much in his life. He even thought he lost the one he loved at one point. But now she was here standing in front of him, married to him. And she was giving him the greatest two gifts of all. Her love and a child.

   Link pulled Zelda close to him, embracing her tight. "I promise... I will protect you and our child at all cost. I will never let harm happen to either of you."

   "Link..." Zelda closed her eyes, embracing him back. "You are capable. Please remember that."

   "I will." Link tilted Zelda's chin up, meeting his lips with hers. Separating the kiss, his eyes started wavering. "I love you, Zelda. More than anything in the world."

   Zelda gave him a smile. "I love you too, Link."

   Link smiled back. "You always know what to do to make me smile."

   Zelda started giggling. "As do you." She paused for a moment. "Would you like to start planning for our baby's room?"

   Link nodded. "Of course." Hand in hand, they started walking together more into the castle.

   During the planning of their child's room, Link was borrowing the Sheikah Slate from Zelda. He was going to use the camera as reference to see where the furniture would go.

   Taking the picture, Link nodded perfectly to himself. "Perfect." It took him to the camera roll. Curious, Link started scrolling through the photos.

   Link came across the picture of him, Zelda, and a couple of people back in the past. He felt his heart sink, thinking how much he missed them. The other picture was of him, Kagami, Sidon, and some other guy in Zora's Domain. A smile appeared on his face.

   Link came across a recent picture of himself with a couple people from his mission. He had sent this to Zelda to keep her updated. He stared at the picture for a little while longer until he exited out of it.

   It was crazy how many adventures he already went on. How much he lost, how much he gained. Sometimes he has night terrors from the past, and now a recent tragedy has added on.

   Link had never felt so powerless in his life. He had never felt so scared. He was scared that he might lose Zelda again, or he wouldn't be able to protect his child. So many negative thoughts ran through his head.

   "Link." He snapped out of it to see Zelda standing near him. "What's wrong?"

   Link just blinked at her, and shook his head. "It's nothing."

   Zelda arched an eyebrow. "Ok? Have you taken some pictures to show to Bolston?"

   "Yeah. I think he'll make great use of them to get ideas of what to put in the room."

   Zelda gave him a smile. "Good. I'm so excited to see how it will turn out."

   "I feel the same way." Link paused for a moment. "So... When will you find out if it's a boy or girl?"

   "In about a few weeks or so. The castle's physician always checks the progress of the baby. So far, it's growing healthy."

   Link smiled, relief on his face. "That's good to hear. I want our child to grow up happy and healthy, and with its entire family."

   Zelda nodded. "I do as well. They will have many wonderful friends."

   "I do know one in mind."

   "Who?" It took Zelda a minute to think about it until she realized who Link was talking about. "Oh! Yes! They will be the best of friends! Now I'm even more excited!"

   Link smiled at Zelda's enthusiasm. "We have a bright future ahead of us. The kids won't be put in danger."

   "Yes, the children of the future will not go through what we have gone though. They will be safe."

   Link nodded. "I'll make sure of that."

   Zelda smiled, seeing Link looking confident than earlier. "I can always count on you, Link."

   "Yes you can. I will always protect you." Link gave her a smile. "We shouldn't keep Bolson waiting any longer or else he'll throw a fit. He wants to work on this baby room so bad."

   Zelda giggled. "Right. We'll have the pictures developed, and have a messenger send them to Hateno Village." 

   Link chuckled under his breath. "I know once he gets these pictures, he'll come straight here."

   "I believe you on that." Zelda paused for a moment. "Link. We should check on your house in Hateno Village some time soon. We haven't been there in a while."

   "Right... It might be full of dust and termites by now, huh?"

   "Even so, we can always clean it. Do you ever plan on selling it or do you plan to keep it?"

   "Well... I was thinking of having it as a second home. Whenever we visit Hateno Village, we always have a place to stay."

   "That's a good idea." Zelda looked at the Sheikah Slate in Link's hands. "May I have that back, please?" Link gave her back the Sheikah Slate as she went to the pictures he took of the empty room. "Let's go develop these, shall we?"

   Link nodded. "Indeed we shall." The two walked out of the empty room that will turned into their baby's room. They were so excited for their child to come in several months, feeling impatient about it. It felt like nothing could ruin this bright future.