Chapter 21

Going back to the present time, Zelda had tears running down her face. Wiping them away, she placed her hand on top of Link's. "I'm so sorry, Link... This is all my fault... If only my power was stronger then-"

"Zelda." Link said. "We've been through this already. None of this is your fault."

"It's my fault this time! Ganondorf is still alive! And because of that, you were trapped in that abandoned cell all alone for 16 years! It sounds like torture! You didn't deserve that! If only my power was stronger, then it would've destroyed him completely, and-"

"Zelda!" Link snapped. Zelda grunted that Link raised his voice at her. "You know it kills me every time you doubt yourself like that. That time wasn't your fault, and this time isn't your fault either."

"But..." The words got stuck in her throat. Zelda wiped her tears away. "You got taken away... You were alone all that time... You... You didn't deserve that... All this time, I worked tirelessly day and night to try to find you. The knights, the leaders of each region, and myself personally searched every corner of Hyrule to try to find you. But we couldn't find you anywhere. I felt so hopeless!"

Link was silent, knowing Zelda has been depressed just like him all these years. Still feeling her hand on top of his, he used his hand to pull her close to him. The two were in a tight embrace. "I'm here now..."

Tears started to go down her face once more, burying her face in Link's shoulder. "I'm sorry... You were the one suffering, and yet..."

Link started to gently stroke Zelda's hair as a way to help comfort her. "It's ok. I'm reunited with my family again, so it doesn't matter now."

"It does matter! Why can't you let me try to comfort you for once, Link!" He grunted at her words. Raising her head to meet his gaze, Zelda looked somewhat angry with tears in her eyes. "You always want to protect everyone! Why can't you let others protect you?!"

Link blinked at her. "It's because... It's always been my duty to try to protect everyone. I failed a few times, but this time... I won't fail to protect you or anyone ever again. You and Lyra are my world."

The tears wouldn't stop. Zelda never felt so frustrated at Link. "You can't be strong all the time, Link! I know the guilt of failing to protect those you care about eats you alive every day, but you don't have to go so far to-"

"I have to! I don't want to lose you again! I don't want to lose my daughter! I have to be stronger than ever to protect my family! What's so bad about that?!"

"It's not a bad thing! It's just... I don't want you to burn yourself out. I know you want to protect the two of us, but... We want to protect you too, Link! You don't have to feel like the only one who always has to do the protecting!"

Link lowered his eyes, keeping quiet. He was at a loss for words at this point. Zelda noticed this, keeping quiet as well.

Lyra, who witnessed her parents quarrel, turned around and headed straight for the door. Hayate had worry written all over his face as he followed behind.

Out in the hallway, Lyra stopped in the middle of hall, only standing still. Hayate stopped as well, reaching out his hand towards her. "Hey Lyra..?"

Feeling Hayate's hand on her shoulder, Lyra quickly slapped it away. Surprised at her reaction, Hayate was at a loss. He never seen her act this way before. "Please leave me alone for a bit."

Hayate knew that's not what she really wanted. He's known her since they were babies, and he knew she was a bad liar. This was one of these times. "What's wrong..?"