Screw Work

You had fallen asleep again, but this time it was a deep sleep. So deep that you slept through three of your alarms. You woke up to the fourth one, and you should have already been halfway to work. You jolted awake, falling off the couch. Your body felt heavy and slow, your mind foggy and buzzing. Neither could quite move as fast as you wanted. Your head was still pounding. You rubbed your eyes, stumbling through your house to your bedroom.

You got ready for work as quickly as you could, not even bothering with your usual makeup and instead opting for just mascara.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" you said aloud, grabbing your purse and speedwalking out the door. You went down the stairs as fast as you could make yourself go in heels. You started walking to work.

"Smile, why don't ya? Why are you in such a hurry?" a random man called from across the street. You walked faster. You found yourself zoning out as you walked, not paying attention to where you were going.

Soon enough, you were in a part of the city you weren't familiar with, full of dead-end alleyways and shady shops. Shaking, you pulled up google maps on your phone and sat down on a nearby bench to concentrate. Your work was actually only a couple of blocks away, but you needed to go all the way back to your usual route to get there. You were already half an hour late.

"Screw work. This is bullshit." You looked around you. You were sitting in front of a rather lovely-looking cafe. You checked your purse for your wallet. It was there. Nice.

All of the sudden your phone started ringing. You checked who it was. It was your mother. Great. You ignored it, silenced your phone, and walked into the cafe.

"Just you?" a hostess asked politely.

"Yes." you nodded.

"Right this way." she motioned for you to follow her and led you to a table for one by a window. You could see the tall building of your workplace from your seat. You sat down and the hostess handed you a menu. You skimmed over it, and nothing really caught your eye except for chocolate raspberry cake and a caramel latte. It was getting cold out—being so close to winter—that a warm drink sounded perfect.

"Are you ready to order?"

"Yes, please." you handed the waitress the menu, which she took. "Could I have a caramel latte and a slice of chocolate raspberry cake, please?"

"Yes of course! It will be ready soon." she smiled, nodding. "Would you like your cake and coffee and the same time, or the cake first?"

"I'll have them at the same time if it isn't too much trouble." you smiled back.

"Understandable. I'll be back with your things." she nodded and walked off.

You continued to stare out the window. What am I doing in this job? I should just quit and find a sugar daddy to pay my bills. Either that or I'm sure I could make it as a stripper...

You shook your head, waving away those thoughts. This job was the best option you had, even if your parents made it terrible. Your life couldn't get any worse, right? Right?! You tore your eyes off your workplace, feeling dizzy all of the sudden. With nothing else to do, you were forced to focus on the headache that was still in the back of your mind.

What has been causing them? I haven't been doing anything. No stress or anything...not work stress, anyways.

You massaged the sides of your head, trying to feel better. The waitress came back with your cake and coffee.

"Dear, are you alright? You look pale."

You waved your hand dismissively. "I-I'm fine." you stammered. "While you're over here, may I ask, do you have a restroom?"

"Yes, it's over there. Behind that door is a hallway, the women's bathroom is on the right."

"Thank you.." You got up and used the table to steady yourself. You took a step forward and the floor came rising up to meet you.