Chapter 4- Confessions

They didn't know how long they stood there, just holding on to each other.

"I'm so sorry Khushi, I'm so sorry for everything. For letting you go, for breaking you heart, for not being there for you when you needed me. I missed you so much, I don't know how I lived without you for so long" he said while burying his face deeper in her neck, overwhelmed and not realizing what he was doing himself. "Don't ever leave me. again."

"I think I'm in love with you Khush!" said NK

"You think?" she asked smiling.

"I'm being serious here Khushi! Ok, I don't think, I know. And I'm pretty sure I've been in love with you ever since I laid eyes on you. Which is pretty surprising, considering the fact that you looked like a total mess the first time we met" said NK while laughing.

"NK! That is really mean. If this is your way of confessing your love to a girl, you're doing a terrible job" said Khushi with a grin.

This made him laugh. "Khushi, I'm sorry! But I just really needed to get that off of my chest. So now you know" said NK a little more seriously

"Wait, you're not kidding?" asked Khushi confused.

"Now, why would I be kidding? You know, you can be a little blind sometimes. Haven't you noticed at all?" asked NK amusedly.

"But NK...I don't want'" Khushi started to say, but was cut off by NK.

"Look, I never asked if you loved me back, did I? All I said was that I love you. Sometimes we love and don't get it in return, but that's just how it is, right?" said NK with a small smile. "I'm not expecting anything in return; I just thought you should know. But this is the end of the conversation, okay? I don't want you going all awkward on me now. Things can be however you want it Khushi, and as long as you don't leave my side, I'm totally happy" NK said looking at her.

"NK, why do you do this? You could easily be with any girl in the world, and you're running after one that doesn't love you back! Now I obviously feel guilty'" said Khushi sadly.

"Hey, who knows, maybe someday you'll love me too" he said with a wink.

Khushi laughed and felt tears forming in her eyes. She wasn't sure if the tears were happy ones for having an amazing person like NK in her life, or if they were sad ones knowing that this beautiful person was right in front of her and yet she was still clinging on to her past. Either way, she knew in that moment that she wouldn't be able to live without NK.

She pushed Arnav off of her and suddenly felt dizzy. What the hell was going on? Why was all this happening with her? Couldn't she ever be happy in life?

"What's wrong Khushi? Did I do something wrong? Look, I know you're probably thinking about NK, but its okay, I promise we'll tell him together. He might be a little crushed at first, but he'll get over it. As long as I have you by my side, I don't need anything else" Arnav said while looking deep into her eyes, as if trying to convince her.

"And as long as you don't leave my side, I'm totally happy" NK said looking at her.

"I can't do this Arnav" she said and turned on her heel to leave, not even looking back at Arnav who was still calling her name.

--------

Khushi left to go downstairs ignoring the stabbing pain in her heart, and sat down with the family to enjoy the rest of dinner. She put a fake smile on her face, assured everyone that she was alright, and continued on with the evening as if nothing had ever happened.

Arnav stood at the top of the stairs watching. What did she mean, she couldn't do this? Do what!? As if they were doing something wrong! Nothing was wrong about what had just happened, in fact the facade she was putting on right now was wrong.

He loved her, and she loved him. He just knew, he was always able to read her like an open book, and even after all these years, he still could. He saw the exact emotions running through him, mirrored in her eyes. What was stopping her from being with him? Was it really NK, she couldn't possibly love him...had she really moved on like she said she would in her letter?

I desperately need a fresh start so I can move on...

Not possible, she was just scared. But he wouldn't let her go this time, no matter whom and no matter what came in his way.

--------------

Dinner passed by very well. They had all gotten a chance to chat and laugh with Khushi, and she even gave each of them some small gifts she had purchased from her business trip to Boston.

NK's phone started to ring, so he excused himself to go attend to the call. As if on cue, Arnav appeared at the bottom of the staircase, ignoring everything and everyone else, because he only had eyes for Khushi. Their eye lock broke when NK suddenly called out for her.

"Hey, I just got this call from one of my business friend's who needs help with something urgently. I gotta go right away. Do you want to come too?" he said out of breath.

"Yeah, sure! Of course, I don't mind coming with you. After that you can drop me home" she said smiling at him.

"NK, if your friend needs help with a deal, it's probably going to take a very long time. No less than a couple of hours and it's already getting late. How about I drop Khushi off, and you go attend to your friend? After all, Khushi and I have a lot to catch up on, I haven't seen her in years" Arnav intervened smiling.

"Uhmm...that's okay Arnav, I don't mind going with NK'" she said nervously.

"You know what, Arnav's right, you should go with him! This is probably going to take a long time, and plus you have a meeting tomorrow morning anyways. You need your sleep, so you guys go. This will give you guys a chance to catch up on your lives too!" said NK smiling.

"But NK'" Khushi started, but was cut off again.

"Really gotta run. I'll see you tomorrow, and message me once you get home, okay? Love you!" and with that, he hugged her and pecked her on the cheek.

He patted Arnav on the shoulder on his way out and said "Thanks bro, and make sure she gets home safe!"

"Oh, I will" muttered Arnav with his signature smirk.

You know what to do, hit the like button and comment when you get the