Chapter 33 - Initiation

1 month later.

She tip toed down the stairs stealthily, making sure not a sound was heard. The slight creak in the stairs made her flinch from time to time, but when she perceived that it would not wake the entire sleeping family up at 3 in the morning, she kept going.

As she attained the end of the spiral shaped steps, she breathed a sigh of relief. What would everyone else gather, seeing her up so late because of a craving?

Still tip toeing, merely in case; she reached the freezer where her object of desire resided. Pulling very slowly, feeling the cold air peep through the opening and the bright light opening her squinting eyes as they scanned for the tub.

"Ice cream, ice cream..." Lavanya muttered to herself, a frown adorning her face. Was there none left, she wondered in panic.

She stretched the door to the freezer progressively to get an improved view, but to no avail because there seemed to be nothing that interested her particular taste.

"What are you doing?" The soft voice interrupted her, as she gasped and turned around while the freezer door slammed shut behind, making her jump.

"Sorry, sorry didn't mean to scare you. Are you okay?" NK approached apologetically reaching out to her.

Sighing, she put a hand to her forehead, grateful that it was him and not someone else. "No, I'm fine. Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." She added sheepishly.

"I noticed your side of the bed was empty. Was just worried, but I guess I should have known you'd be here. You spend more time around the fridge than around me nowadays." He said in mock annoyance, making her narrow her eyes at him.

"What are you trying to say?"

He held his hands up in defense. "I was just kidding Lavanya." She smiled knowing that no one could really keep up with her moody side, with the exception for him. There were those days when she would find herself conveniently irritated and bothered with everything and anything. And not once did NK ever complain, defy any of her wishes, or take her demeanor to heart. He composedly kept up with every mood swing of hers. The care and adoration for their baby from his side was absolutely astonishing. Not that it was not expected, but to see it before her eyes was something else. It was absolutely evident that something had transpired following that doctor's appointment, perhaps seeing the ultrasound has surprised him, affected him? She did not know but whatever it was, she reveled in the feeling. She turned her attention back to him once more as he resumed talking.

"But seriously, what are you doing? Is everything okay?" He asked, closing the distance between them to put a hand on her stomach. A natural action, almost like a reflex of his nowadays. "The baby..."

"No! Nothing of that sort. It's...not important." She dismissed easily.

"Lavanya, tell me."

"I had a craving. That's all." She shrugged. "But it's gone; you can go back to bed."

"Liar. It's not gone; I bet you couldn't find what you wanted."

She sighed. "How do you always know?" She asked in exasperation.

"It's easy; you go all fidgety when you lie." He nudged his head towards her fingers that played with the material of her pajama pants.

"I do?" She asked, looking down at the evidence.

"Yes." He crossed his arms, his eyes glinting in amusement. "So, spit it out. What are you craving?" NK asked with a smile, his sleepy eyes crinkling in the corners, something she had started seeing recently.

"Ice cream." She admitted.

"Ice cream? I thought I bought some the other day?" He asked in confusion.

"I forgot that I ate it." She admitted.

NK's smile faltered on his lips as he let out a throaty chuckle at her words, throwing his head back slightly.

"You know, it's not that much of a crime. You don't have to look so guilty."

"I don't know, I just eat so much and all the time." Lavanya complained out loud. She had gained quite a few pounds over the course of the last couple of months. And surprisingly, it did not bother her as much as she had imagined it would.

"It's okay, totally normal to have all these cravings during pregnancy Lavanya." NK reassured her. "I'll buy you some more of that ice cream you like tomorrow, but for now go put on your jacket."

"What? Why?" She frowned.

"I'm taking you out for ice cream. Don't you want some?"

Lavanya's eyes almost bulged out of their sockets. "Right now?? NK nothing is open right now, are you mad?"

"I know a place." He smiled. "Ma used to take me as a kid sometimes. It's down the street, c'mon!"

"NK, I don't know...you should go back to bed. You have office early in the morning. And what if someone wakes up?" She whispered.

"Fine, I guess I'll go myself." He shrugged, walking over to a small table to grab his car keys.

Lavanya bit her lip as she watched him walk pass her all royal, with that smug smile of his. Because he knew well enough that there was no way she would refuse.

"Wait!" She hissed. "I'm coming!" She ran after him.

As soon as she caught up, she turned to see his side profile walking casually beside her. Smiling as she looked to the floor, she wondered what exactly was going on in his head. There were so many instances when she desired so badly to question him, how he was feeling about it all. About the baby, about Khushi even...and maybe even herself. Would she ever know? Soon, she would have to find out herself.

--------

Rolling up the sleeves of her black blazer, she moved her hands to her fringe where she pushed the hair back. She sat back leisurely against the car seat as Sid drove them to AR for an important meeting with some clients who would be attending the fashion show.

Khushi moved her hands to play with a strand of hair as she sat with a smile. They had just passed the restaurant where Arnav and her had visited about a month ago, this morning. And it had brought back certain memories of the first baby steps in their relationship.

They had talked, and conversed some more. As if they were old friends, catching up. Well...the way he looked at her wasn't so friendly, neither were the things he said from time to time, she thought with a blush. But it had been the most natural feeling ever, as if, there was never anything to be worried or shy about with Arnav. He was the only person she could be her compete self around.

Stepping out of the restaurant where Arnav had arranged a lovely private dinner, of food that she had loved, she waited for him to walk out as well.

When he did, she couldn't help but smile at him. She had a lovely night so far, all thanks to him. He was surely leaving no stone unturned in making this night a memorable one.

He walked over to her, and his hand found hers effortlessly as they twined together. The spaces between her fingers perfect for his, as if made for his. His thumb drew invisible patterns on the back of her hand, the tingle from it seeping through her skin and sending shivers up her spine.

She took a slight glance at him to see his trademark smirk, adorning his face as he led them to his car. They walked slowly, no rush at all because this time they seemed to have all the time in the world. The moon glowed dimly, a cream disc suspended in the velvet sky and the silky breeze was almost resuscitating, perhaps causing her to cherish this moment of hers with Arnav even more.

The ride back was accompanied by a soothing silence, nothing but the sound of their breathing and the wind making its way inside the car from the window she had rolled down after Arnav's suggestion. Moonlight trickled from the bleeding sky and played on the window, leaching colour from all it touched. It casted a silver organza veil over Khushi, shimmering, dancing and she did not seem to realize how it enhanced her beauty, causing difficulty on Arnav's side as he tried to concentrate on the road.

As he pulled up in front of her Buaji's house, she turned to give him a warm smile. "Thank you Arnav. Tonight was lovely." She quipped genuinely, moving her hand leisurely as she tried to unclasp her belt. But Arnav's hand was much quicker, as he rose up slightly, reaching over to her side.

His eyes never leaving hers, in the process his breath fanning across her face gently. The click of the belt pulling free of it's material sliding up her body slowly as it made it's way back to it's original spot.

"I'll walk you to the door." He whispered, and all she could do was provide a small nod as she watched the smirk reappear on his face.

As they reached the door, she faced him with an unfathomable expression that caressed her face. "Goodnight Arnav."

He smiled at her then, looking surprisingly younger in the process if that was even possible. His hand reached up to cup the side of her cheek, as he leaned in to capture her lips in the sweetest of kisses. Pulling back and watching her slightly dazed eyes, he ran a finger over her soft lips. "Goodnight Khushi. I'll see you tomorrow. Sleep well."

And with that, he gave her hand a gentle squeeze before turning on his heels and walking over to his car. Her eyes did not leave his form until he waved from the car as he got seated and drove off. Leaving her standing on her porch, feeling a warm sensation at the pit of her stomach, and a never leaving smile on her face.

"Khushi Di?" Siddharth's voice steered her out of her reverie. "We're here."
She nodded and proceeded to step out of the car, where her cousin was already standing as he waited for her.

"Stop being so nervous Sid." Khushi giggled. "It's only Arnav Singh Raizada that we're having a meeting with."

"Exactly, everyone knows him. He's one of the most influential business men in India!"

"Sid, you're acting like a little girl who's on her way to meet her boyfriend for a date."

He rolled his eyes. "You won't understand. Maybe Arnav isn't a big deal to you but...oh wait, yes he is." He contemplated mockingly, making her eyes widen as she wacked him on the arm. "So, what's the deal?" He continued with a raised eyebrow as he controlled his laughter.

"Nothing is the deal, and we are most certainly not talking about that here!"

"Okay, tell me about it at home." He decided, as she stared at him in slight astonishment while they walked into the elevator.

"Okay, fine let's have a deal. I'll tell you about my love life, if you tell me about yours." Siddharth tried.

"Nope, no deal! Because you have no love life." She teased, making him gasp dramatically.

"I do too; I just don't tell you all the details. It's too much for your sensitive ears." He shrugged.

She laughed at his ridiculousness, and that was how Arnav found her as the elevator door opened on his floor. He walked in, watching her laughing stop abruptly as Siddharth cleared his throat.

"Good morning Arnav. I mean...Mr. Raizada. How are you?" Siddharth spoke up first; the nervousness not as evident in his voice as it should have been, making Khushi want to laugh again.

"Good morning. I am well, thank you for asking. And Siddharth, do call me Arnav." He smiled at Siddharth sincerely. "Good morning to you too Miss Gupta."

She gave him a slight smile as she nodded at him. It had been a full two days since she last saw him as he had left the city to attend some important business elsewhere. Right now, she wanted nothing more than to bury her face in his chest and have him hold her. She had missed him, truly missed him. And now, as his musk lingered in the elevator as they rose to the floor of their meeting, she could do nothing but internally sigh.

The ding of the doorbell interrupted her thoughts as they reached their floor and Arnav made his way out as Siddharth and Khushi followed.

Arnav steps slowed down, matching Khushi's as suddenly Siddharth was in the lead, perhaps too eager to get to the meeting to even notice.

His eyes gleamed with mirth as he purposely trailed his fingers down her arm secretively, watching as her eyes widened but she only kept walking.

"Is this the welcome I get after such a tiring trip away from you?" He whispered loud enough, for only her ears to comprehend.

She gave him a warning look as they entered the conference room, her lips pressed together as she tried to control the shy smile that threatened to break out on her face.

As they got seated, Khushi scanned the room and frowned. Arnav clarified, already knowing the question that swam in her head as if he could read her thoughts.

"Akaash won't be able to make it. He's at the agency dealing with recruiting the models." Arnav stated in his suddenly, business like clipped tone. And with that, they got to business.

---------

Glancing at her compact mirror one last time, she fixed her makeup and hair, making sure both looked presentable enough. Her heart fluttered dangerously in her ribcage from all the nervousness of the upcoming interview that awaited her. Her hands were clammy and she feared that the perspiration may have seeped through her shirt. Tapping her 5-inch heal against the marble floor where she waited, she decided to take deep breaths to calm herself.

She would make it; she would show her compatibility and ability to be a good model for this upcoming event. It would be a dream come true if she made it through, however if not, there were always other opportunities at hand. Being a model had always been her dream, ever since she was a small girl. Unfortunately, the society around her had always frowned upon her decision, but both her mother and brother had always been there to support her. And frankly, that was all the support she had needed.

"Miss Gupta?" The receptionist called. "You've been called in."

Payal Gupta took a deep breath and got up. Taking slow but confident steps as her lithe body approached the door. Raising her hands, she gently tapped on the wood before hearing a "Come right in!"

Opening the door gently, she entered, and closed the door behind her. She noticed that he was still facing the other way in his chair.

"Have a seat!" She heard, and complied immediately. Taking one more deep breath, she put on her best smile and settled her portfolio on the deep burgundy desk.

Turning around swiftly on his chair, Payal met his face finally as he grinned at her. The glasses, the charming smile, the lean tall body that sat leisurely behind the desk...all familiar.

"Arrey, it's you? So we meet again!" He said in mock surprise, making her jaw drop.

"You?!" She asked as her cheeks flamed and mouth was still agape. This was the very man from that day on the plane, who had argued with her. And here he was, the same person who was taking her interview, because he was none other than...

"Akaash Raizada." He held his hand out for her to shake as his eyes sparkled mischievously. "We met the other day on the plane? Don't you remember? I took your spot in line for the restroom, and you were angry with me? In fact, I believe you took a dig at my eyesight..." He said as he leaned back on his chair, and pushed his glasses further up the bridge of his nose. "Do you remember now?"

She nodded blankly as her heart rate sped up, gulping loudly. She shook his hand nimbly, as she gazed up at his bespectacled face once more...

"And here we are, me taking your interview! This should be fun." He grinned at her again as his hand moved to take her portfolio.