Chapter 10 - Recognition

"Depression? Since when does Khushi have depression?" asked a surprised Arnav.

"Well I guess you guys didn't keep in touch after high school Arnav. She left town because she went through a lot here, and needed a fresh start. We ended up going to the same university and that's where I met her. She was a mess, and I just had this urge to take all her pain away. I wanted to help her and to make her smile again. I would follow her around everywhere, and it would annoy the crap out of her!" NK smiled a little thinking about it. "Finally after lots of convincing that I wasn't just some sort of stalker, she agreed to become friends with me. I would meet her after her classes, and tell her about my life. I would talk and talk and she would just listen. She never told me about her problems, never once complained, but always helped me with mine. We were suddenly inseparable, and we became best friends. As we got closer, I started to love her even more. On my first birthday after our friendship began, I asked one thing of her; to talk to me about her past. She reluctantly agreed only if I promised I wouldn't judge her, and I promised. She told me everything, every single detail, and my heart broke for her. She's just so innocent and fragile. In that moment, I wanted to hold her and tell her everything was going to be okay. I told her she could talk to me whenever she wanted, and she started to cry. She hugged me, and thanked me. She genuinely thanked me. Probably one of the most beautiful moments in my life, and then I realized that I couldn't live without her. I needed to take care of her, and I needed to love her" NK said, his eyes distant.

Arnav suddenly felt very uncomfortable. It was strange, hearing about someone else's feelings for his Khushi. Of course, it didn't surprise him; she was capable of making any man go crazy for her. But he had to know more. His Khushi had been suffering from something as serious as depression! And he didn't have a clue about it. He felt the guilt stab at his heart, and decided to find out what exactly happened. He was sure that it had something to do with her parents' death, but was he a factor in it as well?

"So what caused the depression exactly? I mean, what happened to her? I don't remember hearing anything at school" Arnav lied.

"Well, it's kind of personal, I'm not sure if she would be comfortable with me telling you" NK said slowly.

"The whole family knows, so why can't I know? And I knew her before any of you guys did. I have the right to know too" Arnav shot back.

NK took a deep breath and sighed. "Alright, but I'm serious Arnav. You cannot tell anyone, no one. And you cannot bring it up in front of her. Is that clear?" NK said firmly. "I'm only telling you this because you know her well, and you're part of the family so I guess you have the right to know too"

"I swear NK, I lo...I care about Khushi. She was a good friend, I just want to help" said Arnav.

"Okay, well remember when you came to visit me in Montreal, and I was telling you about this girl I liked? Well that girl was her; she was suffering from all those issues at the time. Anyways...it all happened on one night. It was her prom I think. And since childhood, she was head over heels for this one guy. She never told me his name, and I'm glad she didn't because if I found him I'd probably kill him" said NK seriously.

Arnav looked away; he couldn't meet eyes with NK. He knew exactly where this was going.

"Anyways, he broke her heart. She poured all her feelings out to him, and he basically told her that he didn't want any of it. He didn't want love" NK sneered.