Chapter 27 - Lull

Chapter 27 - Lull

"Sasuma, believe me. I saw her coming out of Arnav bitwas room." Manorama said to her mother-in-law as they sat for their morning tea. The house was full of chatter amongst them, caterers running around, flowers being hung on the corners of the house, and lights adorning the walls. After all, there was a wedding in the family today; a new member of the house would be living with them.

"But...why would she go there?"

"I don't know Sasuma! That's what I am wondering. Do you think...?"

"I don't know what to think. At that time of night? Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

Nani nodded in understanding. "Manorama, whatever the case is, Khushi bitiya is not that type of girl."

"Sasuma, just think about this for a second. I know my son, and I know he can be oversensitive and immature. But all I know is that he loved Khushi more than his own life. I was so in shock about the news regarding Lavanya that I didn't think clearly about this matter. Do you think it makes sense that NK bitwa did what he did just because he found out that Khushi and Arnav bitwa were friends when they were younger? That doesn't add up to me. I know Khushi is not like that...but..." She frowned.

"Then what do you think..."

But they were cut off as the doorbell rung, interrupting their serious conversation. Hari Prakash rushed to the door, and opened to reveal a face that brought happiness to all three.

"Akaash bitwa!" Manorama exclaimed.

"Maathey!" He exclaimed back with equal vigor as he dropped his suitcase and opened his arms in welcome.

"It has been so long since I last saw my beautiful son. Give me a hug!" She said. "My darling son has been taking care of all the business abroad; do you know how proud your father and I are of you?"

"Let me guess, you guys are so proud! I'm quite proud of myself too." He shrugged his shoulders.
They laughed, the sound appearing strange after so much had happened in the house.

"There's my second favourite lady, Dadi!"

And greetings were exchanged between everyone.

Anjali limped downstairs after hearing all the noise. "Akaash? What a surprise!" She grinned happily.

"Why didn't you tell us that you were coming today? We thought you couldn't make it!"

"Haan bitwa, we would have gotten the driver to pick you up from the airport then!" Devyani said.

"Well then it wouldn't have been much of a surprise, now would it?" He grinned cheekily.

Shyam appeared moments later, giving his brother in law a warm hug. "It's been so long!"
"You bet jijaji. I've missed you all."

"Ok ok, how about we catch up over breakfast? There's so much to do, there's a wedding in the house today!" Anjali exclaimed. "Go freshen up!" She pushed him towards the stairs.

As he walked casually, feeling elated to be surrounded by his family and his lovely home; he stopped in front of a certain open door.

"Miss me?" Akaash asked smugly.

Arnav looked up from the file in hand and grinned.

"I thought I heard you come in." He said as he got up and went in for a brotherly hug.