New Science Report

Big news! There's a new report out from scientists that found if we don't change our ways around the meat and dairy industries, we won't be able to feed our population. The report advocates a largely plant-based diet with only very occasional consumption of animal products (but of course it's better to not eat these at all).

The report was three years in the making and is part of a new effort to make recommendations to governments to help feed the world population. The study says, "Even small increases in the consumption of red meat or dairy foods would make this goal difficult or impossible to achieve." The report recommended dropping meat (and sugar) consumption by fifty percent. Countries which eat less meat and need more food would be okay with eating more (making it three percent of their diet), but countries like the U.S. would have to pretty much give up meat.

There are strategies outlined so governments can actually make this transition. One recommendation is subsidizing agricultural industries that don't produce meat and dairy so that being vegan and vegetarian would be less expensive than eating meat. This is big news. Going predominantly vegan and vegetarian could save the world.