17.

Vesta: The virgin goddess of hearth

~

-HER-

There's this unknown force that's compelling me towards the direction of brightness. I walk through the darkness, the hunger for light and the thirst for power lighting my insides with eternal fire. I am in a forest, walking through the trees, pushing the branches away from my way while my eyes are set on the brightness emerging from the distant bush.

Finally, when I reach the bush and push its leaves aside, my eyes find hers. I couldn't help but step out of the bush and into the clearing in whose middle she stood, waiting for me, watching me.

Her vibrant blue eyes gazed into mine. They're similar to mine in every way.

A wolf.

Majestic and powerful. Her auburn fur appears to be golden as the light emanates from her. Throwing her head back, she let out a howl before charging towards me. I stood there, unable to move my feet as she leaped at me before merging into me. A sense of completeness clouds over me. I feel powerful. I feel all the things that I felt looking at her. Now I know the unknown force that has been stirring into me a lot these past days. It was her, maturing, waking up from her eternal sleep to be a part of me. It was her, my gut instinct, guiding me, providing me with power when my conscious self failed to do so.

My wolf.

'I am Vesta...' A low whisper fills my ears, enthralling my senses, waking me up or rather that part of me that was in slumber this time. I feel new in this ancient place with the now acquired power.

As soon as I open my eyes, I am greeted by my mom looking down at me with concern and tears in her eyes.

"Oh, Nefret!" She sobs as she hugs me and starts to kiss me. I hug her back, feeling tears stream my eyes as well. I don't remember what happened but after raking my brain, some snippets of memories of me going to the Ruins with the Golden Hind flashes in front of my eyes.

"I love you so much... I thought we lost you," She sobs further, hugging me harder as if I am being taken away from her. My heart aches and I bit back the urge to cry out loud like a baby. I see dad sigh in relief, sitting by mom and watching me.

"You hit your head. What happened, Nefie?" She asks pulling back and looking at my head.

I got almost killed by Arles.

"I don't remember."

~

"Wear this. It will bring out the blue in your eyes more." Mom says tossing me a blue wavy dress. I roll my eyes her choice. I hate skirts because I cannot run in them if needed and by the amount of trouble that I am in right now, I guess I'll be running a lot soon.

It's a big day of my life and she's helping me get ready for the birthday party. I want to hide somewhere but as the situation demands, I must stand in the front of the pack and take the Calentha Oath in front of the whole pack which is required to be taken by all the wolves when they mature.

This morning my wolf woke up and now I can feel her, stir inside me and sometimes talking to me. She is getting used to people that I know. Her name is Vesta, like the virgin goddess of Hearth.

"Can't I just wear-"

"No!" She cuts me before shoving the dress in my hand. I sigh and go to the washroom to change. After I return, I find mom doing Grace's hair. She's wearing a white dress like mine that complements her hair. She looks like an angel. She turns around to look at me as well, studying me from top to bottom.