Manicures n' Car Parts

*A month later*

Elliot had moved back in the house with his family, this time for good. He and Olivia had come to terms with the fact that it would be the best for the both of them, along with the kids, and if she had to admit it, it was good having him back home. Zane, Elliot, and Noah had all gone out for a guys day and Olivia and Gabby were getting mani/pedis. Their feet were soaking in the water when Gabby glanced over to her mother, whose eyes were closed, relaxed as the water jets hit her feet.

"Mama?"

"Hmm?" Olivia never looked over at her.

"I-I did it."

Olivia slowly opened her eyes hoping 'did it' didn't mean what she thought it meant. She lifted her head. "Did what, sweet girl?"

"You know... me and Zane."

"Oh... oh boy." Olivia closed her eyes again and rested against the headrest.

"Are you mad?"

"Should I be?"

"Well, no. I mean I did everything you told me to do and he wore a condom. No glove, no love."

Olivia didn't say anything. She knew she should before her daughter expected the worst, but she didn't know what to say. Gabby was her baby!

"Mom... say something."

"I'm.. I'm just feeling a little blindsided by this is all. Where was my red flag, baby girl?"

"I dunno.. It just- It just happened. Last night."

Olivia looked at her and Gabby smiled sheepishly. "You okay? I mean inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs?"

She nodded.

"Are you hurt?"

"No, no, not really. Just sore, I think. But I had full control. He didn't make me do anything I didn't want to."

"Okay."

"Just okay? No lecture, no yelling?"

"And when have you ever known me to do those things?"

"Well.."

"Shut up."

They both shared a laugh and Olivia reached out to take Gabby's hand. She smiled tearfully. Gabby was no longer that little girl. She was a little woman and Olivia felt her maternal instincts hit her like a truck. She wasn't ready to let go yet. "My baby girl... You've gotta know that I'm so, so proud of the woman you're becoming. I'm not mad at you. I was sixteen once and I know how it is. I just.. I do wish you had waited til you were older and stronger, and more-"

"I am strong, mama."

"I know it, but I mean in the sense that- that this brave new world you've stepped into is... it's a lot bigger than you think, my love. An adult relationship comes at a cost. And sex? Sure it feels good, great even, and it's empowering, and it makes you feel loved and valued." Gabby watched as her mother spoke with such passion and wisdom. "But just as sure as it can build you up, it can tear you down, make you feel worthless."

"Okay."

Olivia could tell it wasn't clicking in her head quite just yet, which raised the question as to if Gabby was really ready to take that step. Nevertheless it had happened and Olivia needed to say what she needed to say. "I'm saying that Zane is a good kid. I love him like my own and I know you love him too. But your dignity is far more important. Cherish it. Sex? That's.. that's a very big step in a relationship. It's sacred. Don't go giving it away. And no matter what happens between the two of you, always remember what I've taught you."