Chapter 1

It was the first weekend of summer and even as the sun was lowering the air was still warm

It was the first weekend of summer and even as the sun was lowering the air was still warm. The Point was filled with the sound of children playing, screeching and laughing. An occasional screen door slamming and the laughter of adults rounded out the melody. As the adults were sitting on front porches sipping gin and tonics or beer, the teenagers were sneaking bottles out their back doors and meeting up with their friends on the beach. Some adults were talking and others were playing cards with friends —hearts the popular game.

When the sun went down smaller children were called to wash their dirty feet after running around without shoes. Once the children were in bed, the adults either returned to the porch or settled in front of the TV to watch a rerun of Walker, Texas Ranger.

Some adults had been drinking since the afternoon and had more than enough by nightfall. One such husband was well on his way to inebriation when he accused his wife of looking longingly at his friend.

She responsed, "Stop being an ass!"

"Go ahead.  Have him, but I'll bet you he's not half as good as I am."

"Go to bed! You're drunk!" she told him angrily, as she steered him into the house and saw him to their bed. He would be hungover and embarrassed in the morning, but it served him right.

They had all drank too much, which was perfect because if she wasn't buzzed herself she would be really pissed. She was surprised to see the man her husband had just insulted still on her porch. His wife had gone home ahead after she had also imbibed too much.

She jumped when he said, "You know he's wrong and I can prove it to you."

"What?"

"I am better than he will ever be."

He walked toward her and she backed up against the corner of the porch. It was dark the citronella candles had flickered out and the only light was coming from inside the cottage. Her husband hadn't been wrong, because she had developed a schoolgirl crush on this other man who was staring at her lips as if he were starving.

Weakly, she squeaked, "We can't."

"He invited me to. I think it was a dare."

"We're both married."

"Just a kiss, then you can tell me who wins the bet."

"Is this a game?" She sobered.

"No, this is fulfilling a fantasy," he whispered.

All she could think of when his lips approached hers was, you too!

Whatever she expected from the kiss it wasn't the heat. His lips were passionate and demanding and he tasted like nectar. Her body felt like it was on fire which was a feeling she had missed. She didn't realize until that moment she missed passion in her marriage. She felt his response to their kiss pressed against her belly. She wanted to reach down and take him in her hand. Abruptly, she pulled away and shook her head. He was smirking and licking his lip to taste her again. She felt a wave of something run through her body whether fear or excitement she wasn't clear. For a moment they looked at each other until their gaze was broken by the sound of a dog yipping in the distance.

"So do I win that bet?"

She touched her swollen lips and ran past him into her cottage.