Chapter 24

Melissa was leaving in a few days herself. She would be lying if she didn't daydream what it would be like to be with Mason, but there was too much to consider. Atlanta might as well be the moon because it was over six hundred miles away — more than Maine was from her home outside of Washington. Just as Mason couldn't take his kids away from Ruby, she couldn't take Heidi from Jeremy. Their daughter was their gift to each other in their unique relationship. Melissa never shared the details with Mason. It wasn't because she didn't trust him.  It was because she didn't trust herself. If Mason knew the truth, he would convince her to be with him, but she owed Jeremy too much to take Heidi away.

She'd be lying if she said she didn't wonder what would happen next summer when everyone congregated back for another two months at their summer playground. She'd allow her tears to flow and maybe she'd confide in Jeremy, so he could take care of her the way he had so long ago.

The Harris family were heading home early, because Ryan had football practice. He was hoping to be the starting quarterback for the BC High team. In previous years, John would stay on with Jack, but even Jack was ready to go. Kelly assumed he had had enough of hanging around with the golden couple. She knew her son had a soft spot for Maddie, as Ryan had pointed out.

She invited the whole klatch over for one last time. The conversation was dominated by the events surrounding the poor girl. Kelly felt horrible about how the gossip mill had led to her assault. Alice was beside herself because she truly cared for the girl.

Judy said, "She moved out yesterday and Maddie has been forced to work her schedule. She isn't very happy."

Marie added, "Drew is working more too."

Judy snapped, "Drew deserves to work more."

Marie scowled at her friends and said, "Well your daughter isn't innocent here."

Kelly didn't know what was happening. It was as if she walked into a minefield without warning. Alice looked down at her hands which meant that she knew more than Kelly.

Judy stood. "I can't be in the same room with her. Kelly, I'm sorry, but come say goodbye later. I know Madelyn will want to see you."

Marie huffed and left right behind her. Kelly stood with her jaw hanging. "What was that all about?"

"Judy walked in on the two of them in Maddie's bedroom."

"They didn't already know what those two were up to?" Kelly asked in disbelief, because she had a very good idea.

Alice shook her head, "Apparently they were the last to know. I'm not sure why they're blaming each other. It seems foolish, but it's going to be a long winter if those two don't make up."

There were so few winter residents, so the ones who stayed needed to get along. Poor Alice feared she would be stuck in the middle.

"Nine cold, gray months," Alice mumbled to herself.