Chapter 9

When the Drake's returned, they very much played the role of a happy couple which created a hung jury. Todd Evans had been adamant it was a misunderstanding and finally convinced his wife, Judy. When Judy met with her friends for their coffee klatch at The Landing she was glad the English woman wasn't working.

"I know the true story about Will Drake and you-know-who!"  She had everyone's attention. "She hurt her ankle at the fish market. Todd was concerned so he called Will to have a look at it. He was only there because he's a doctor."

Marie was the first to respond. "I don't care. She's still up to no good. Divorced women can't be trusted. They just want our husbands. Nora Drake doesn't deserve the nice man and their poor little girl can never please her mother. I would never be critical of my daughter no matter what decisions she made. Can you imagine when Nora's daughter is a teenager?"

Alice said, "I knew about the ankle, she suffered through her shift on Sunday. Marie, your Megan is a good girl and you two are so close. You and Megan will always be best friends. Nora loves her daughter and Lana is a sweet girl. I really think the person Nora has trouble loving is herself. We'd all do well to have a little more compassion than criticism."

Marie didn't like being contradicted, but luckily no one else spoke against her not even Kelly Harris, who agreed with Alice. As a teacher, she saw all types of parent/child relationships and learned not to judge too quickly.

Marie changed the subject and pointed out how great a mother she was. "Send Jenny over this afternoon. I'll bake with her and Megan. The girls love to cook with me."

The conversation moved on to one of their favorite subjects, Jeremy Pendleton and his appearance on their televisions.

While their mothers were talking for hours over Rick's coffee and Maddie's gran, Madelyn was with the other dames, Maddie and her boyfriend Drew were alone in her bedroom. Marie might be critical of others, but she was clueless to the fact her seventeen-year-old son was having sex with his girlfriend. Kelly Harris had her suspicions, because anytime her son Jack was home brooding it meant Maddie and Drew were off on their own, as Jack was their third wheel. Jack had been brooding a lot and often in the middle of the day, when parents were going about their business and trusting their teenagers.

Kelly, on the other hand, trusted her eldest Jack, but would never be critical of other people's children, because at fifteen her son, Ryan, already liked girls way too much. Thankfully he was a smart boy and she had to hope he wouldn't do anything stupid. She raised him right and the Jesuits at their private high school were teaching morals, after all she paid enough in tuition.

The speculations and rumors about Will Drake died down when a different man was seen going up the stairs to the apartment over the fish market on a week night when the Drake cottage was empty. New suspicions flew around and a story was hatched that it was many different men. After all, she was already working two jobs, so perhaps she was practicing the oldest profession on the side.