Chapter 2

It started one day as the dames met for coffee in Madelyn's kitchen. The coffee klatch, the younger women, the mothers of the children running wild on the beach, liked to meet at The Landing the local establishment that had been under new ownership for the past decade. The dames remembered when it was a no-frills mercantile meant to sell sundries and other necessities before the addition of the coffee and sandwich shop.

Madelyn resided in her large, old home with her son, Todd, and his wife, Judy. The couple gave Madelyn one granddaughter, and namesake who went by Maddie. Maddie was out running around with her boyfriend, Drew. Meanwhile, Judy was busy cleaning the upstairs.

"I was walking Fritz late Saturday night and I saw two people kissing in the shadows."

"Oh, I saw the divorcee with a man, sneaking him up the stairs leading to her apartment above the fish market."

"Why did your son rent to her and give her a job?"

Madelyn was unable to defend her son and shrugged. "Rick Jablonski at The Landing also hired the divorced woman."

Flo said, "She is a very nice girl if you take the time to talk to her. I love that way she speaks."

"She is not from here is she?"

No one knew very much about the divorcee, but she was English and although she spoke like a lady, she didn't dress like one. All the husbands had a wandering eye whenever she walked by. The dames knew men would always enjoy the scenery and a wandering eye was only a problem if it was acted upon, however, if she was inviting a man into her apartment they deduced someone was acting on it.

The musing about the divorcee ceased when Mary, Fritz's owner said, "I saw something else in the dark. I saw a husband with another man's wife and they were much too friendly."

"Who?" They all asked in unison.

She shook her head. "I'm not one to start accusations and rumors."