Love at Opening Set (Marching Band AU)

Here's a crappy Marching Band AU that nobody asked for, but I'm a band nerd so you'll just have to deal with it.

If you're not from America and you have no idea what Marching Band is, this AU is basically like a high school AU but with concert band instruments, marching, and people throwing flags (AKA the colorguard). Enjoy!

Hey look, there's Tomura," I said, pointing out the small blue-haired figure walking down the hall with his friend, Kurogiri.

"Yeah, so what?" said Spinner shrugging. We were sitting outside the bandroom--Spinner, Magne, Toga, Jin, Sako, and I--and were talking about how our show that Friday would turn out.

"Yeah," said Toga, the girl who was basically my best friend, "Why have you been so interested in him lately?"

"Its nothing," I said, quickly trying to drop the topic. I could feel my cheeks burning red though, and I knew Toga wasn't going to let this drop.

"Ooooohhhhh someone's got a crush!" she squealed, swinging back and forth excitedly.

"I do not!" I objected, but my cheeks betrayed me, becoming even redder than before. "Fine," I sighed, "I do have a crush."

Toga squealed again.

"But it's not like its gonna work out anyways--I don't even know if he's gay!" I said, quickly trying to push the topic away and move onto something else.

"Of course he's gay, he's in colorguard!" Toga exclaimed. "Now," she said, taking out a notebook marked The Ship Book, "When are you gonna ask him out?" She looked as though she was already planning our wedding.

"Togaaaaaaa," I groaned, throwing my head back in annoyance, "First, that's stereotyping, and second, I'm not going to ask him out. Band crushes never work out anyway."

A loud gasp was heard from the rest of my friend group as they stopped their conversation and turned to stare at me.

"You're not going to ask him out? Exclaimed Magne.

"But Dabi," Jin said in surprise, "You ask out everybody."

I grimaced. For the most part, that was true. I was most likely the biggest flirt in the band, hitting on everyone both seriously and as a joke. But with Tomura it seemed...different.

"I'm pretty sure he's busy--with guard practice and stuff--and honestly it's not a big deal...." I lied. I knew that wasn't enough to stop my friends from pressing me for details though.

"You can't be seriou--" Toga was cut off by the loud sound of the bell ringing over the school intercom.

"I have to go, I have a math test today!" I said, grabbing my bag and practically bolting out of the band hallway. It was a bad lie--I would have been studying during lunch if I actually did--but hopefully it would allow them to forget about the whole conversation before band practice that night.

~Time Skip~

The wind whistled through my hair as I stepped out onto the field for practice that night. The mid-November night air was cold, and I suddenly wished that I had brought gloves to practice, despite the fact that I wouldn't be able to play properly in them.

"Bit windy tonight, eh?" said our band director, Shouta Aizawa, over the loudspeaker. THAT was an understatement--the wind was so strong that my sheet music had almost fallen off my trumpet, and I could tell that the colorguard was having a hard time as well, with their flags fluttering in the wind.

We got into our drill sets and started to practice, cleaning and modifying the work for our show. Our theme was "Heroes vs. Villains" this year, and we played alternating hero and villain themes from various movie soundtracks. The drill sets of our show were also set up so that there would be a "hero's band" and a villain's band" with the guard split into two groups battling each other.