Chapter 8 : Beforehand

Text Copyright ©Cristelle Mae Gille ™ 2014

Eating dinner with my parents is agonizing. The atmosphere in the dining room is so sullen. The only sound that can be heard are the clutter of utensils against the plates. Mouth chewing and heavy breathing. There was no talking nor laughing. I did not have any appetite to eat so I just move my peas back and forth whist looking at my parents guiltily.

The suspense is killing me. They took their time before the announced the first girl that they have chosen.

“Elisa Aschuill.” People burst forth to applause.

“Come here dear and stand beside me.” Claudia said. As she finished pronouncing the next two, she was interrupted by Remus who beckoned her to approach him. They whispered so inaudibly that even my vampire hearing can’t grasp. She nodded and strode back to the podium.

“Well ladies and gentlemen. The tie was abruptly broken for we have decided on the girl to be considered. Shall we continue?” Claudia announced. As she read the fourth girl’s name out of the parchment that she is holding, my nerves hummed with tension. One more left. One more left. I kept chanting to myself. One more left. One more left.

“That will be all ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for coming today. Glory to the Kingdom of Ahrwen!” Claudia yelled and the crowd exploded with cheers and round of applause. I did it again. I blocked everything so I couldn’t hear the last person’s name that was pronounced. All the ladies I was in line with started to disperse on the way to the back and I followed. But after I took my first step, I was grabbed by the elbow and I looked back at Claudia with question.

 “Where do you think you are going young lady? You need to go with us first to get your particulars and you need to sign a couple of agreements and contracts before we let the five of you go home, say your goodbyes to your family and friends and pack your belongings.” Claudia said.

“What?” I asked her.

She exhaled with irritation and pointed the four ladies that was chosen. “Didn’t you hear the last name that was pronounced?” I shook my head no. “Go with those four, you’re the fifth.”

“You are going away.”

My mother got me off my thoughts. Sorrow is evident in those four words that she had spoken. I looked up from my plate to see my parents watching at me. My father is giving me a sad smile and my mother’s eyes are shining with tears that are threatening to go down. I feel guilt all over me. I have not asked for their consent to join. And now I am leaving them for selfish reasons.  

This is not a decent daughter would do to her parents.

“I’m so sorry mother.” I apologized.

A tear fell down from her eyes, crossing her cheeks until it dropped on the table top. My guilt folded. “Can you please tell us the reason why?” she asked. Bowing my head, I told them my reason. My parent’s face were passive until I have finished, then they both raised up and surrounded me with warmth of their embrace.

“Oh, my drear daughter. I cannot fathom on what you have suffered for years because you cannot be with him.” My mother cried.

For a while we have remained embracing each other. I know that I wanted this in order to have my fill of love from them for I won’t be able to see them for a long while. And I know, this embrace means sorry for what you have felt and we will miss you for my parents. Those were the unspoken messages we have conveyed.

That night, Asher arrived just before I get to bed.

He just barged into my room while I was packing my belongings and embraced me so hard, I can barely breathe. He held me firmly for what feels like hours.

“Asher, I’m having a trouble to breathe.” I bellowed to him. He immediately released me saying words of apology. We both then sat down on my bed and released a long, depressed sigh. “I will miss you.” Asher suddenly said.

I will miss him too. “I will, too. You will always be my best friend, you know that.”

“I know.” He arrogantly replied. He has that grin on his face that makes him look so adorable and handsome. He rushed towards me and engulfed me again with his embrace. “I will find a way to visit you there in some way. I can ask my step father for his influences to the palace to give me consent for a visit or even a stay.” He said.

My eyes widen with astonishment. He will go to those length just for me.

“You will do that?” I asked.

“For you, I will. You already know that.” Asher replied. He has feelings for me that I cannot give in return. And for that, my guilt intensified.

Asher decided to help me pack my things before he leave. He prompted me and check for my essentials and anything to carry. The garments, the ball gowns and the requirements.  He gave me a couple of bottled blood. For emergencies, he said to me. In case I get cravings out of the blue and needed one because sometimes vampires gets sudden urges just to drink so they go ballistic and berserk until they have consumed a couple of bottles. Or a couple of blood donors. After we pack everything inside my travel carrier, Asher big goodbye and good luck to me once more, saying that he will be there on my departure tomorrow for our final farewell for the mean time. And then he’s gone and I was left alone.

Lying in bed, susceptible to my thoughts. I contemplate on what will be my future after I depart from this town I grew up in. Never have I treaded to a different town but rather just outside our borders into the forest venturing with Asher out of curiosity and the thrill of adventure. But tomorrow, not only will I go to the next town, but will travel for days toward the capital, into the heart of the kingdom, the palace.

Will I meet him?

I hope I will.

What will he look like?

I don’t know. He will be grownup, of course. But what I am sure of is that his eyes never altered. For those intense blue eyes hunts me in my dreams sometimes. With the thoughts of my beloved, I succumb to the lure of sleep.

Hey there!

I know it has been too long that I have not been updating. Blame school people! haha!!.. But any how. Hope you liked this chapter and give me vote if you do. Just click that pretty little star and then boom! A vote for me!.

Thank you for reading again! 

Until next time.

~Scyrenne