chapter 13

For some reason my cage seems to be coming increasingly larger and increasingly emptier looking. I've put it down to two possible reasons: 

1. Since the last time a Peacekeeper came in with food was longer ago then I can remember at this moment in time my room is somehow projecting itself to look as empty as my stomach. 

2. Or, that this emptiness is from a different part of my body; my heart. Which has become extremely hollow since dealing with the fact that I shall die in this hell hole and never see Katniss ever again. 

My bets are with number two.  

"Hey, Darius. You up?" I whisper. Attempting not to wake Johanna in the process since she seems to have got into a phase of letting all her anger out on me.  

I turn his way now to see if he heard. "Darius?" I say louder this time. When not even the rise and fall of his chest greats my gaze I shuffle over to his side of my cage. 

"Oh no." I say in a hushed yet, worried tone. "No Darius can you hear me?" Full on talking volume escapes my lips now as I stick my hand through the bars and gently touch Darius' neck. 

"NO!" I shout now. "Darius wake up! Stop fooling around Darius it's not funny. Darius!" Poking both of my arms through I grip the fabric of his red Avox uniform and pull him close to me.  

"Darius wake up Darius!" I scream shaking his lifeless body. Tears streaming down my face now. The warm water reaching my lips, salty and sour. 

"Dar... dar Darius!" Wrapping my arms around him I howl and bury my face in his neck. I blubber like a baby still talking to him somehow hoping for a reply.  

Suddenly something in me snaps and all my feeling slip my lips and I roar like the ferocious beast I feel myself becoming.  

"You bloody animals! You monsters! Look what you've done. LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!" I scream yet at the same time cry vigorously. In the heat of my hysterical fit a voice behind begins to talk not soothingly but almost, angrily at me and every letter which roles of her tongue slithers like a snake down my spine.  

"Get a grip Peeta! There is nothing you can do. He's dead and you just need to let him go before you drive us all even more insane." Johanna barks causing be to quickly shift my gaze.  

"How can I let this go Johanna? How? Tell me!" I protest still gripping tightly to Darius like he's my own position. "How can you not be mad at what they have done? What they do, to all of us! They treat us like cattle rear us up for slaughter, take peoples children, take peoples dignity; their life!" I yelp turning back to Darius' lifeless body my tears falling gently now as they land on his matte of ginger curls which seemed to have fades along with the rest of his features. "And you're telling me to move on." I hiss disgusted at her. 

"I am mad at what they have done." She says, softer now. "I just don't see the point of getting worked up about it." Johanna turns away from me now. She folds her arms and places her chin on her knees. "We're all dead anyway, we were from the beginning."

*

"Rise and shine!" Acanthus sings as he strides out the elevator. Balbus follows closely behind him holding a small curved knife in his hand which he hangs by his side lazily. They both strut past us all while Balbus rattles the knife against the metal bars. He stops once he reaches Darius' cell. After a few moments of standing still he retrieves a set of keys from his belt and unlocks the door. Acnathus follows shortly behind and kneels down next to the body.  

"Shame." He says after a while. "I liked him, Quiet. Man, I guess I'll just have to use this on someone else. I just got it shined as well!" I bite my tongue; not allowing myself to slip out a comment which may just get that knife a bit too close to my neck then I would like. Hang on though, what's this? No, I couldn't its stupid. Only a complete and utter asshole would think of the idea. It's sure to get my killed. One hundred per cent. I do it anyway.  

The keys hanging on to Balbus' belt, the ones that happen to be right under my nose, the ones which have the stupid yet utterly brilliant design with my name engraved right into one of them somehow manage to end up in my hand and now I somehow am undoing my cell door.  

"Don't just stand their stop him!" Acnathus yells causing the fleet of Peacekeepers who watch our cells to begin chasing me. I manage to dodge a couple and shove past some of the weaker ones. Not even letting the thought enter my mind that I'm attempting to run away and leave the others behind, at this moment it's just me.  

I'm nearing the elevator doors, I'm almost there. I reach out I can feel the cold metal on my fingertips, I'm going to make it. I will be free. Katniss I'm coming!

I'm on the floor.