Chapter Ten

He couldn't believe this.

It had to be the most careless thing he'd ever agreed to. (So far, anyway.)

Despite this, Eldon made sure to pack a few different sets of clothing that would hopefully keep him warm enough. He checked—more times than necessary—that his sword was sharpened and polished and that he had plenty of carrots and apples for Snow.

After his bags were ready, he left his room and headed to the bottom floor where a few soldiers lounged about, exchanging mindless chatter with each other. Booker and Annaliese sat at a small table in the dining hall, plates of cooked red potatoes, roast, and bread laid out in front of them. Annaliese was using wild hand gestures as she told Booker a story while Booker listened closely, nodding along as he chewed on a piece of crusty bread.

Eldon smiled as he approached them and sat beside Annaliese. Annaliese ended her story with a clap of her hands and a roar of laughter. Booker laughed along with her before greeting Eldon.

Annaliese turned her head and nodded at Eldon. "What brings you back so soon? I expected to see you at supper." She passed her plate toward him, offering him a taste. He waved his hand. Then he thought he must be nervous if he was turning down food. Annaliese shrugged and helped herself, ignoring her utensils in favor of her fingers. At least she seemed less angry now.

Booker, on the other hand, used his fork to stab through one of his potatoes. He lifted it up to his mouth and paused, asking, "How was the funeral? How is Princess Elouise?"

Eldon frowned. "It was what you'd expect from a funeral. And she's..." Miserable, completely miserable. "She's doin' better."

"Considering that," Annaliese began, "I'm surprised you aren't with her still. You already know about what we talked about earlier."

Eldon nodded. "Yeah, I know. I just... just wanted to see you two first."

This had Annaliese tilting her head and narrowing her eyes. "What's going on with you, Eldon?"

"Nothin'. Guess everythin' just got me feelin' a little weird."

"Really?" Booker stuck out his lower lip. "Are you ill? Maybe you should rest."

"I'm fine," Eldon assured him, forcing himself to smile again. Then he stood, glancing back and forth between them as he began to walk backwards. "I'll be seein' you."

"Alright," Annaliese casually replied before stuffing a piece of bread into her mouth.

Booker smiled at him and turned his attention back to his own food. With that, Eldon turned and left. To his surprise, Henry was outside and immediately turned to him, uncrossing his arms, and moving away from the building.

"Ivy is worried about Elouise," Henry informed. "She senses you and Elouise are up to something. Now she's afraid you're both going to get yourselves hurt."

Eldon scratched the side of his head. "Well, Ivy's clever, 'cause... we're leavin' tonight." He hurried past Henry, not wanting to watch the reaction unfold on his face.

Unfortunately, he heard it in Henry's voice.

"What do you mean?"

Then Eldon heard his footsteps catching up with him.

"You are leaving tonight? I thought your plans were still in progress."

Over his shoulder, Eldon said, "Yeah, they were. It's just..." He looked ahead again and sighed.

"She's frightened, isn't she? She's thinking irrationally."

Eldon stopped suddenly and turned on his heel. Henry almost tripped over himself.