Chapter Twenty-Two

The sounds of wretched coughing and heaving behind him forced Eldon to stop. He turned and gasped when he found Henry leaning against a tree, bent over, and spitting out his saliva.

"He-Henry!" Eldon rushed back, and Henry raised his head, revealing teary eyes. Eldon touched Henry's forehead and cheeks, checking his temperature. He didn't feel a fever.

Henry waved him off. "No, I'm fine. I merely became a little dizzy."

"How do you feel now?"

"That I... I should sit for a moment." Henry slid down the tree, momentarily closing his eyes. Eldon situated himself next to him and grabbed his hand, preparing to heal him and take away any lingering symptoms. However, as soon as he tried this, a sharp pain rattled his brain. He cried out and Henry flinched and gawked at him.

Eldon withdrew his hand and glared at it. "I... I can't heal you."

"You must still be recovering," Henry suggested, shrugging his right shoulder. "You do not need to heal me. I should be fine. I am already feeling better!"

Eldon puckered his lips and glanced around. "You need water," he murmured. Maybe there was a stream nearby? He started to stand when Henry spoke again.

"Could... could you simply stay and sit with me?" Henry set the sword aside and brought his knees up to his chin, wrapping his arms around himself. His skin looked sticky with sweat, but at least he wasn't pale anymore.

Eldon reluctantly did as he was asked. He took back his sword and sheathed it. After a beat, Henry questioned what they were doing. Eldon didn't understand what he meant.

"We could be running to nothing," Henry explained, his breathing becoming shallow. Eldon shifted nervously toward him.

"Henry, stop," he urged. "Just stop. You ain't helpin' yerself by thinkin' like that."

Henry sat up more. "What if we do not find her? What... what do we do—"

"Stop it." Eldon grabbed Henry's face, and Henry instantly closed his mouth. Still, the hard crease between his brows remained. Eldon leaned in closer. "We're gonna find her. Even if we gotta search every inch of this land, we're gonna find her." I have to find her.

Henry didn't get a chance to answer, because then, frantic neighs were heard. Eldon slowly removed his hands from Henry and felt his muscles tense as he turned his head in the sound's direction. Galloping between the trees was a blur of white and black, making Eldon's heart leap.

"Snow!" He hurried onto his feet and took off toward her, the adrenaline pumping through his veins and feigning an energy he didn't have. He cupped his mouth and repeatedly—desperately (insanely, even)—shouted his mare's name until he heard her neigh particularly loud. She turned his way, and Angus followed suit. Eldon picked up his pace, his chest burning and his lungs feeling like they were ready to collapse.

He ran right into Snow's side and hugged her tight. Some of their belongings were still attached, and Eldon's first instinct was to search through for something warm for Henry. But after failing to find anything useful, another disappointment crept up.

The horses... they were... they were alone.

Eldon stumbled backwards at the realization.

Henry finally caught up and gasped. "Oh, no," he exhaled, shaking his head, eyes widening. "Elouise."

Eldon groaned. "Dammit."

"We figured they belonged to you," Iris' voice came from above. Eldon blinked hard and threw his head back, spotting the young woman lounging peacefully on a sturdy branch. A quick glance around showed her two friends in the other trees surrounding them.