Chapter Thirty-Seven

Two of them attempted to attack from behind, but Eldon brought up his barrier, stunning them back. He lowered it and quickly went to stab them both with his sword before their senses returned.

Elouise turned her head, unable to watch for too long.

Noemi then screamed, and her grip on Elouise's wrist tightened. Elouise nearly froze when she saw a bulky man yanking Noemi. She dropped the knife and crouched as she held onto Noemi. She called for Eldon over her shoulder. Then the man removed the cloth from his face, and her breath hitched.

"Give me my daughter back!" he barked.

"N-No!" Elouise shouted, holding on tighter. "You do not deserve her!"

Noemi's father bared his sharp, yellow teeth. He then grabbed a handful of his daughter's hair and yanked her harder, causing her to yelp.

"Let her go!" Elouise demanded. Noemi's grip on Elouise slipped, but she used the opportunity to reach up and try to pry her father's fingers off her hair. The man loudly cursed as a knife was lunged into his shoulder. Elouise raised her head in time to see Henry pull the knife out. With that, Noemi was released.

Henry went for a second stab, which ended unsuccessful as the man turned and snatched his wrist. Noemi's father then pulled Henry down and straddled him.

"Leave 'im alone!" Noemi shrieked, rushing forward with her own knife. Before she could take her chance, another woman swept in and grabbed her.

"NO!" Elouise shouted. The woman and Noemi quickly vanished within the chaos. Noemi's cries were slowly drowned out by furious grunts, by flesh being cut into, by bones breaking, and by arrows flying past Elouise.

Elouise then heard the horrific chokes from Henry as Noemi's father strangled him. She checked behind her. Eldon and Cora were fighting off four of them together, unaware of what was happening to everyone else. She eyed the knife she'd dropped and reached for it, but it was kicked out of the way. She looked up and gasped.

Minerva lowered the rag from her face and grinned wickedly.

"Your Highness," she kindly greeted. "Did you miss me?" Then she lifted her leg and kicked Elouise in the chest. Elouise fell flat onto her back, air momentarily knocked out of her. Another arrow was shot, and Noemi's father was struck in the head. Minerva's features softened as her father's limp body slumped against Henry's.

Henry squirmed beneath him, painfully coughing and wheezing. Elouise caught a glimpse of Kinsey attaching another arrow, but she was stopped by someone else pushing her down.

Minerva sneered down at Elouise and lifted her sword high over her head. "My holy Almighty, I give you this sacrifice—the sacrifice of the savior. May her death grant us all power." She forcefully brought the blade down, and Elouise narrowly managed to immobilize her. Minerva's entire body stilled, except for her eyes.

"Y-You are not winning that easily," Elouise stated.

Henry finally hauled the body off him and stood. He swiped the sword from Minerva, then pushed her, and Elouise released her from her magic. Back in control, Minerva blinked hard and glared at Henry.

"Try, little prince," she taunted, then expertly dodged when Henry took his first swing.

Elouise couldn't find the knife anywhere within the snow. However, she located Ashton's sword a few feet away. She crawled over and seized it off the ground, grabbing a bunch of snow along with it. Henry kept swinging, missing each time. Elouise leaped to her feet and stiffly gripped the hilt with both hands. Her entire body trembled as she dragged herself toward Minerva, holding the sword at an awkward angle.