Chapter Fifty-Six

Elouise reached the staircase before she could no longer resist. She plopped down on the first few steps and covered her face as she whimpered. Her chest felt hollow, and she wanted to curl into herself and cry until her eyes went dry.

"Your Highness?"

She flinched and gasped, dropping her hands and finding Udolf steadily approaching her.

"My apologies," he said, halting and looking away. "I did not mean to frighten you. It appears I've arrived at a very horrible time."

Elouise hastily wiped down her face and stood. "N-no! Not at all." She hurried up to him and mustered a faint smile. "W-What is it that you need?"

Udolf met her gaze again. "I actually came here to see Prince Henry. I spoke with him earlier at the tavern—"

"At, at the tavern?" Elouise furrowed her eyebrows. Henry had told her he'd merely gone for a walk. She couldn't fathom why he would've lied about that.

"Yes. I was just as surprised as you are. Anyway, I fear I overstepped my boundaries, so I came here to apologize to him."

"Oh. Well, I, I was informed he's currently unavailable."

Udolf squinted at her. "Is everything alright with him?"

"I... I believe so." Or rather, she certainly hoped. He'd seemed a bit... off earlier.

"Then I suppose I will try again in the morning," Udolf said, turning to leave.

Elouise instinctively grabbed his wrist. He glanced down at her hold and raised an eyebrow.

She released him suddenly like he'd burned her. "B-But I... I am here if you—if you wanted to discuss anything with me. Anything at all?"

Udolf smiled at her, fully turning back. He then raised his hand to her cheek and gently wiped away a streak of tears with his thumb. "Perhaps when you are feeling better."

"I don't think so," Eldon spoke up from behind her.

Her throat tightened at the sound of his voice. She didn't want to see him after what'd occurred in the garden, but he forced himself in-between her and Udolf anyway.

"His Majesty don't want you alone with Her Highness," Eldon bluntly informed Udolf, and Elouise gaped at him.

Udolf's brows shot up. He stepped back, his eyes flickering to Elouise. "Ah, is that so?"

Elouise's face warmed, and she shamefully diverted her attention to the floor. She hadn't been aware her father had told Eldon anything about that.

"Hmm, how wonderful," Udolf said to Eldon, his teeth gritting. "I do admire how welcoming it is here. Although, I assumed this bigotry was something you could relate to and were against."

Eldon didn't respond. With that, Udolf shook his head and stormed off. She thought about calling after him, then decided she could make it better when her head was clearer. Tomorrow, perhaps.

As soon as Udolf was out the door, Eldon faced Elouise. And Elouise scowled at him.

"How could you tell him that?" she demanded.

"I don't trust 'im."

"But I need him on my side, Eldon."

"That ain't ever gonna happen. Even if it does, how're you gonna be so sure he ain't lyin' to you? He ain't a good person, Ellie."

"You have no right to make that kind of assumption." Elouise spun on her heel and hurried up the stairs. He followed closely.

"Do not follow me," she snapped.

"Are you gonna promise yer not gonna go see 'im? 'Cause I know that's what yer plannin', Ellie."

"Do not call me that."

"Fine, Yer Highness."

Elouise paused and whirled on him, hardly recognizing him as he glowered at her. She reached for the brooch still pinned to her gown and tore it off. Then she tossed it aside, listening to it as it hit the wall and then fell flat onto the marble steps. He blinked hard, seemingly resisting glancing over at it.

"If you want things to remain strictly professional between us, then fine," she began. "But that means you cannot and will not have a say in anything I decide to do."

"I'm supposed to protect you—"

"No, you are supposed to heal me if I ever get hurt."

"Sure, yeah, as yer guardian. But as yer knight, my duty is to watch over you."

"A good knight does not interfere with affairs. Therefore, I will do as I want, and you will let it be."

Hesitance softened Eldon's expression. He kept opening and closing his mouth as if he was daring to protest. Ultimately, however, he said nothing. A wise decision.

"I am retiring for the night," she told him. "I will see you in the morning... at regular hours after I've had my meal. Goodnight, Sir Eldon." She didn't wait for his response. Instead, she turned and walked the rest of the way up the stairs, her demeanor faltering with every step. Halfway down the corridor, she teleported to the library, knowing she would be even more miserable inside her bedchamber. Perhaps she could read something to distract herself until she was tired enough to sleep.

Once inside the library, she quickly concluded she was not alone. The distinct laughter stunned her still, but her nerves eased a little when she recognized her father's voice, and Marigold's.

"That is why this place holds many lovely memories for me," said Marigold.

"I never gave it much thought before," her father admitted. "But you've certainly made your point." Marigold chuckled lightly, then silence followed.

Elouise carefully moved closer to the first bookshelf and peered over. And she nearly squeaked, horrified to see them kissing. She caught a glimpse of Marigold's fingers raking through his hair. Then Elouise withdrew, covering her mouth.

How could she? She angrily wondered. But then: how could he?

Kissing one of her mother's dearest friends. The whole ordeal made her want to squirm with disgust.

Elouise teleported to her room and rushed to her bed where she grabbed a pillow. Before she could scream into it, she caught sight of the little twine wolf she still had inside the paper boat. She let go of the pillow and hesitantly reached for the wolf.

Goodness, when Eldon had given this to her, things had been ridiculously simple. It almost felt unreal to her now. Neither of them could've guessed this was where they would end up. She sat down on the edge of her bed and held the tiny doll against her chest, her eyes welling up again. She shut them tight.

"Be strong," Elouise breathed. "Love is a weakness, and you will not be weak anymore." She then opened her eyes and placed the wolf back into the boat.

"Pathetic little girl," she scolded herself. "At least you've learned your lesson about opening your heart to someone." Then she snarled at the wall across from her, the image of her father and Marigold burrowed into her mind.

Everyone around her continued to make such poor decisions. And she would not fall into the same trap as them again.

A Savior's Worth (Book #3)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें